Which course to choose after 10th : Decide Science or Commerce in class 11 and 12
Deciding about choosing the right course after completing 10th or matriculation can be a tricky affair sometimes. There can be many reasons for that. One of the reason why I was bit uneasy opting for science stream was that most of my friends were going for commerce stream and I was feeling left alone. However it was also the fact that they got lesser percentage than me in 10th board exams, but I was too young to think about that at that time. Other biggest contributing factor is the percentage you get in 10th boards or the grade (if you are studying in a school where there are no external board in 10th). It is normally understood that students doing well in 10th should always go for Science stream because only bright students become doctors and engineers. Since I have done engineering myself, I know how bad 50% of the engineers are. I work in a UK bank now and I have realised that people coming from commerce background earns equally or sometimes more that engineers. So it is very important to decide the best course for you right from class 11th. And since that is very young age for all of the student, I will try to explain below how you can decide the best for you while choosing between science and commerce.
Science vs Commerce : How to decide
- Understand Your Capability: You are the best person to gauge your capabilities. Each course whether it is science, commerce or arts need some capabilities. For example, to solve a physics problem you should be able to imagine how physics formula works and how you can apply them to solve problems. To understand chemistry, you should have interest in basic science of sub atomic particles and their behavior. In the same way, to excel in commerce you should have interest in business, accounts and numbers. For example, in you day to day life if you always think of profit and loss while buying small things and are interested in how market of supply demand works, you will be excel in commerce. Same goes for arts and humanities as well.
- Follow your hearts: There is an old saying that you should take advise from everyone but always do what you think is correct. There is no harm in taking advise from your parents, friends and other people about your options. However, at the end it should be your own decision what stream you should choose. I give you an example here.. One of my friend got higher percentage than me in 10th board. Everyone advised, in fact pushed her to take science stream in 11th. But since her own interest was in commerce she took science against everyone's wishes. I met her last Friday and was pleasantly surprised to see her as a very successful Chartered Accountant. It has been proved again and again in various researches that you always do well in the subjects you enjoy. You should always keep this in your mind.
- Don't think about Money at this stage: Most of the people who will advise you will say that this stream is hot in market and you will get good job if you do this course. Again will give you an example here. Most of us think that only who get very less percentage in 10th opt for arts or humanities. One of my friend who got less marks in 10th since he was more interested in paintings. We never thought he will get to do anything big in his life. But he was so good in painting, that he got scholarship from a very reputed university in UK. Last time I heard about him, he was doing very good in his life and most of his paining are sold at more that £25,000 a piece. So what does this tell you? This means, if you excel in what ever field you choose, you will always earn money and most of the time you will make more money than your peers.
I hope above mentioned facts will help you to decide which course you want to choose after 10th, whether it is science or commerce or arts. I am sure, whatever you decide will be best for you. If you have any comments or suggestion, please use the comment box below.
Off late I am getting a lot of queries about what decision you should take. If you want urgent help, drop a note to email@example.com and I will try to get back to you as soon as possible.
Did you find the information useful?
A small quiz to check if you love science :)view quiz statistics
- Why I did not join Indian Institute of Management (IIMs) and Indian School Of Business (ISB)
Should you choose executive MBAs from IIMs and ISB? This hub is my personal experience to pursue MBA through GMAT and why after getting offers from these B-schools, I decided not to join them.
- Top 5 World Best Specialized MBA courses - Which MBA specialization program to choose in University
decide which MBA specialization to choose,best specialization program which are ever green and are recognized through out the world's industry.specialized program offered by most of the universities and choosing a specialized course,MBA in finance is
- Best 10 Top MBA colleges in India
List of top colleges in India, Top 10 colleges in India, Top 10 Best colleges in India, Top 10 MBA colleges in India, Top MBA colleges in India, Best MBA colleges in India, Compare MBA colleges in India, Average Salary in MBA colleges In India.
- List of Top 10 Best colleges for MBA in world
This hub is about the Top 10 MBA colleges in the world. Best MBA School in Europe, UK, US . Top MBA school, Top best MBA college. IF you have any question like which is the best college for MBA in world of from where I should do my MBA or Best MBA co
- Which course to choose after 12th - BBA vs BCA
Two of the important and popular profession undergraduate courses are BBA (Bachelor or Business Administration) and BCA (Bachelor or Computer Application). As no one want to do simple graduation, students normally go for either BBA or BCA wherever th
- Which IT Undegraduate course to choose after 12th - B-Tech (BE) vs MCA
Which IT Undegraduate course to choose after 12th - B-Tech (BE) vs MCA, B-Tech vs MCA- Some Basic Differences, Both Btech and MCA are widely recognized degree in India, Btech and based on undergraduate marks for MCA.MCA is a post graduate degree, niv