- Education and Science»
- Elementary, Middle School & High School
You Are Destined For Greatness
The Purpose of the organization, "You Are Destined For Greatness."
Destined for Greatness, is a term utilized to "compel or earmark" individuals to pursue what is, "wonderful; first-rate; notable; remarkable; exceptionally outstanding;" based on definitions of the words, destined or greatness. (#Dictionary.com) The organization #Destined For Greatness, Inc's, sole purpose is "To mentor girls between the ages of 10-18, and to introduce them to the world of endless possibilities by providing them positive experiences in the worlds of science, arts and community enrichment." Implemented within the program is, "an emphasis on mentoring in areas of academics, healthy friendships/relationships, self esteem, public speaking, etiquette, physical and mental health, and community service/enrichment." Young women are inspired to develop their ultimate abilities, skills, gifts and talents. Education is also a major focus for these young women that is why partnership with schools are also vital.
Positive, Successful Mentors are Sources of Inspiration
Mentors are provided in order to assist young women ages 10-18. In some of their lives, no positive parental influence may exist. During two interviews on the television program CBS This Morning, Ray Lewis, a former professional football player with the Baltimore Ravens acknowledged that his mother was 15 years old when she gave birth to him. Ray's father left him and his mom, the day he was born. Lewis went on to explain, "One thing about a child, children learn exactly what they live." These profound words are the foundation of a lot of our children's lives today. Young women can be devastated, when the father image does not exist within their family. It then becomes a necessity for the remaining parent to take up the slack of the missing father or rely heavily on the inspiration and support of a good mentor.
Chelsea Clinton, was also interviewed on #CBS This Morning. She presented the positive aspects of parents being supportive of their children as Bill and #Hillary Clinton, were to her. Now that Chelsea, is a parent she went on to acknowledge, "When I talk to kids, I am always so struck by how curious kids are about the world around us. I think how much more perceptive and attentive they are in what is happening than what adults may give them credit for." This inspired Chelsea, to write a book entitled, It's Your World,Get Informed, Get Inspired and Get Going. As the mother of two daughters, I agree with Chelsea that kids are inquisitive about their surroundings and we should respect their opinions as well. Destined For Greatness, Inc., or #dfginc explains that they, "support and mentor young ladies in hopes of inspiring them to reach their full potential and become influential in their communities." It is vital that we encourage young women to curious and inquisitive about the world that surround them in order to be an inspiration not only to themselves but to others.
1) Elimination of Stereotypes Such as the Fear of Failure - During a recent interview on the television series #Good Morning America, experts revealed that girls take failure, "harder than boys. A group of 12 year old girls said that boys seem to brush it off." Experts also presented three problems regarding "fear of failure" that girls tend to exhibit: "(a) Girls tend to be more emotional. (b ) One study found that 74% are under pressure to please everyone. (c) Public failure is especially difficult." One 12 year old stated, "Once you start over achieving, people expect things from you." Another participant Penny Sepulveda stated, "I felt judged by other people. Now I can't do anything." Rachel Simmons, author of #Odd Girl Out, gave these suggestions to help girls handle failure; "Praise effort, not ability. Work with your daughter on not worrying about what other people think of you. Personalize failure. It is a muscle and a skill." Simmons, went on to discuss how we would never want girls to believe the stereotype, "that they are bad at math or science." If they believe such statements this can make the stereotype of "failure even harder and . . . they may totally give up." In conclusion, "after young girls fail, you can be there to support them."
2) Positive Messages that Inspire - On the website of Destined to Greatness, powerful quotes are presented such as: "To be beautiful means to be yourself. You don't need to be accepted by others. You need to accept yourself. - Thich Nhat Hanh - Another positive message featured on dfginc's website is, "Teach your daughters to worry less about fitting into glass slippers and more about shattering glass ceilings." - Unknown -
3) Positive Role Models - An enormity of positive role models are also featured on this website. Such powerful influences as Michelle Obama, Viola Davis, Regina King and numerous other women that are considered to be very influential in the lives of young women today. A question was raised on dfginc's website which asked, "There are so many phenomenal women that paved the way as role models! Tell us who inspires you?" I would have to say women in the Bible have truly been a source of inspiration for me. Such women as Sarah, the wife of Abraham who left her beautiful home to live in tents because of her loyal service to Jehovah God and subjection to her loving, faithful husband. (Genesis chapters 17 & 21) Queen Esther, was used by God to preserve the lives of God's people. She humbly risked her life to save the lives of others. (Esther chapters 2, 3 & 4-9) These women not only paved the way as role models, Sarah and Esther, instilled true values of love and humility that can strengthen young and older women of today. For more information on how to deal with bullying, discouragement and how to maintain a loving relationship with God, go to the website below and obtain a free copy of the publication, #Imitate Their Faith.
Your are Destined For Greatness, Inc., is a non-profit organization that featured a Bowling Fundraiser with unlimited bowling, food, drinks and give-a-ways. One representative of the organization explained, "We're raising money for our non-profit status application." For more information about this organization or any future events, please go to their facebook page.
Angelladywriter, is not responsible for the advertisements that surround this page. Any questions concerning content email me at email@example.com
Roy Lacey's video on his little queen mastering her greatness!
There are so many phenomenal women that paved the way as role models. Tell us who inspires you the most?
To read about more women of the Bible, obtain a copy of the publication "Imitate Their Faith" by going to website below.
- Jehovah’s Witnesses—Official Website: jw.org
Jehovah’s Witnesses: Our official website provides online access to the Bible, Bible-based publications, and current news. It describes our beliefs and organization.