Ari Lamstein profile image 77

Why is Brandy tasting prohibited by law in California?

I recently went wine tasting in Sonoma, California. I went to a winery that makes both wine and brandy. But while customers were allowed to taste the wine, there was a sign that said "Brandy tasting prohibited under California law." In retrospect, I should have asked the staff why this law exists, but I didn't. Does anyone know why?

SidKemp profile image94

Best Answer Sid Kemp (SidKemp) says

• Ari Lamstein profile image

Ari Lamstein 4 years ago

Great answer Sid! Thanks so much for doing that research. I had trouble finding links like the ones you gave.

mjkearn says

• Ari Lamstein profile image

Ari Lamstein 4 years ago

I was surprised too! In addition to being able to taste the wine, we could taste other after dinner drinks (e.g. sherry, and port). The prohibition against Brandy really made no sense to me.