grumpiornot profile image 74

Is it acceptable that rhino are being hunted to extinction to feed medicinal purposes in Asia?

Rhino are hunted in Southern Africa and India for their horns. In the far east, local practices attribute medicinal properties to rhino horn - unproven in any western medicine. The net result is that rhino horns are cruelly chopped off living animals, resulting in their gradual and painful death. Is this practise acceptable, and will the extinction of rhino be an acceptable price to pay, for historic medical purposes?

chef-de-jour profile image99

Andrew Spacey (chef-de-jour) says

• grumpiornot profile image

grumpiornot 5 years ago

Thanks Chef. It is disgusting.

Some in South Africa suggest poisoning the rhino horn (not the animal, just the horn) so that the end users of the folk medicine get ill etc.

Food for thought, isn't it?

Garifalia says

• grumpiornot profile image

grumpiornot 5 years ago

Wow! Please send me more info on the organ transplant story - I am as fascinated as I am disappointed in the human race, at times.