1. To hone/develop critical thinking skills. This helps in all aspects of life, not just academic and professional.
2. Higher education has become a standard requirement for decent paying jobs.
3. You will be exposed to different people and other cultures, widening your perspective on life and what it means to be human.
4. Learn more about and embrace a subject of interest that can lead to a rewarding career.
5. To make discoveries about things you are unaware of, including topics from global perspectives to your local community.
I like to think knowledge makes people more aware of their surroundings in general. Being able to look at an issue in the news and think about how it affects both themselves AND OTHERS (other people, the environment, economies of any scale, etc...) is a skill that can be improved upon in college. It is one of the reasons I am happy to have enrolled.