Billrrrr profile image 89

How did people tell time before the invention of mechanical clocks?

The easy answer is 'sundials' - but I think they were used mainly by institutions and the wealthy. I took a trip back 2000 years in my mind to come up with my answer and then I wrote a brand new hub about it. I would like to see if anybody comes up with the same idea I had.

alancaster149 profile image83

Alan R Lancaster (alancaster149) says

• Billrrrr profile image

Bill Russo (Billrrrr) 4 years ago

Wow. What a fascinating glimpse into history. Great comment. Never heard of the 'knockers up'. Kind of an early wake up service. I could have used this during my school days.

Copper Man says

• Billrrrr profile image

Bill Russo (Billrrrr) 4 years ago

Great and creative answer. You came up with several ideas that I did not think of. I never heard of the burning rope idea. One of my ideas involved tides, but tides only work if you live right on the shore and the tidal times change.