ocfireflies profile image 80

Is an unfair environment created when teachers teach at the same schools their own children attend?

For example, if a student goes to the nurse and asks for something for a headache, the nurse is not allowed to give the student even a Tylenol. But, if the student's parent(s) work at the same school, then this student can get the Tylenol or whatever med from his or her parent. Plus, if teachers are allowed to keep their children in their classrooms after school, those students can overhear or become privy to information regarding other students or teachers. I have a friend who just became headmaster at a small school where there are lots of teachers who are also parents of students.

billybuc profile image90

Bill Holland (billybuc) says

• ocfireflies profile image

ocfireflies 4 years ago

I sure can't imagine you as mean. Smiles, Kim

Lee Tea profile image92

Lee Tea says

• ocfireflies profile image

ocfireflies 4 years ago

First. I am sorry that you saw the unfairness firsthand. Second. I think you are correct in that the size of the school, system and town makes a big difference in how often that which happened to you may happen to others. Thanks for responding.

prektjr.dc profile image83

Debbie Carey (prektjr.dc) says

• ocfireflies profile image

ocfireflies 4 years ago

Thanks for responding. I agree that the issue is really about integrity. I believe it is the issue of confidentiality along with unfair accessibility that concerns my friend. I agree teachers' kids have higher expectations to perform academically

IDONO profile image81

IDONO says

• ocfireflies profile image

ocfireflies 4 years ago

All good points. I think my friend's main concern is that there are too many teachers' kids having access or being privy to information regarding other students. I know some schools require teachers to find after school for their kids. Thanks.

Ben Blackwell says

• ocfireflies profile image

ocfireflies 4 years ago

Yeah. I believe my friend has got a real balancing act to perform. I do not know how common it is for there to be so many teachers with kids enrolled in the same school. Thanks for your comment.