krissalus profile image 89

If a book has been extensively edited, is its copyright still valid?

I wrote a book and obtained the official copyright for it several years ago. Since then, however, the text has been extensively edited and a lot has changed, although characters and major plot points have remained the same. Is the book still protected under the copyright? Or do I have to re-register it as a separate text? I've tried looking around but I can't find a clear-cut answer to this anywhere. Also, if anyone could provide a source with their answer, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

• krissalus profile image

krissalus 3 years ago

Thanks for your answer. Mine is a weird case, though, because it was not actually published under the initial copyright, and I'm looking to do a first run now. I'm not sure what, if anything, that changes, though...