stuff4kids profile image 97

Why are some people left handed?

You most likely have met someone who is left-handed - or you may be left-handed yourself. But what causes this difference from the norm? How common is it? Is it experienced as a handicap or does it make no difference to your daily life? I'd be especially interested to hear experiences from left-handed people...

• stuff4kids profile image

Amanda Littlejohn (stuff4kids) 4 years ago

That's interesting. I'm sure you did what you thought was best for your son but I have heard that really it's best to accept left-handedness as a natural thing.

Hezekiah profile image88

Hezekiah says

• stuff4kids profile image

Thanks Hezekiah, that is really interesting information. I hadn't thought about different ways of reading and writing in different cultures. Thank you so much for bringing that to my attention, I really appreciate it.

ratnaveera profile image72

ratnaveera says

• stuff4kids profile image

Thanks ratnaveera. Yes, that would make sense with the idea that left-handed people are often very creative as I have heard that it is the right side of the brain that deals with all that kind of stuff. Fascinating. Thanks for your contribution.

nicholet profile image60

Nicholette Sbarro (nicholet) says

• stuff4kids profile image

Hi, do you mean that you had to try and teach them to write with the right hand rather than the left? I know that some time ago this was commonly done in schools but now each student can write as they most feel comfortable.