Hi Majlis. It's impossible to live in society without politics. The politics is nothing but an art of guiding people. Without guidance we can't even travel over a known path to a known destination. So you need to modify your question, you may ask, can human society survive or achieve sustainable progress without effective leaders?
For making politics, as others too have opined, effective, one should ensure the following:
(1) A political system should be exactly what the ethos of respective regions demand.
(2) The political parties should have clear vision and a firm commitment for their promises to fulfill.
(3) The leaders should deem themselves as servant of the people.
(4) The relationship between leaders and followers must base on mutual love and co-operation.
(5) Values like, equality of humanity, justice to all and avoidance of discriminatory practices, must form bases for both parties and leaders.
(6) Political parties and leaders should feel themselves accountable in every sense.
If any society forms an organic relation with politics based on such principles, politics will surely appear a blessing and leaders as the savior.