TheHoleStory profile image 79

What type of a bug is this?

It looks like it could be either some kind of a big ant or a poor bee that lost it's wings.

Best Answer Eric Dierker (Ericdierker) says

• MizBejabbers profile image

MizBejabbers 3 years ago

Do they sting? Are they otherwise harmful? I'm glad holestory asked because I've seen something similar to these on my stone steps leading down to my house. My bugs may the the same ones. I think mine are dark charcoal gray and red. They are pretty.

• The Examiner-1 profile image

The Examiner-1 3 years ago

In the east they are eastern velvet ants. Wasps whose wingless females resemble large, hairy ants. So it is actually a female wasp without wings.

colorfulone profile image86

Susie Lehto (colorfulone) says

Venkatachari M profile image81

Venkatachari M says

• The Examiner-1 profile image

The Examiner-1 3 years ago

On the side of the cement(?), it is the red mark with two black stripes at one end - it has a dark shadow above it on the cement. (I believe that the pinkish color up top is the inside of an upper piece of cement.)

Bubblegum Jones profile image61

Bubblegum Jones says