(1) Becoming old. Although there are changing & more positive paradigms regarding becoming old, the prospect of becoming old fills many people with dread. Many believe that old age is the beginning of declination physically & mentally which ends in the ultimate declination-death.
(2) Becoming poor & homeless. With the precarious socioeconomic situation nowadays, most people are from one and a half to one paycheck away from poverty & homelessness. More and more people are struggling to remain socioeconomically solvent. Many in the middle class are becoming the new poor. There are some people who have went from middle class into poverty, even homelessness. People fear becoming poor & homeless because this means being vulnerable & on the societal periphery. To them, poverty &/or homeless is equated with utter powerlessness.
(3) Hell. Yes, believe it or not, there ARE some people who fear that when they die, they will go to hell because they contend that their lives were less than perfect. They believe that in order to go to heaven, one must have a perfect or as near perfect life as possible. They fear hell because they contend that it is analogous to an eternal prison sentence with NO chance of parole.
(4) Being different. People love nothing better than social approval & to be liked. They conform to & follow the majority consensus because they want to be belong. To these people, being different is the kiss of societal death. Being different means being ostracized, even marginalized by those whom they hold dear &/or seek approval from. Being different also means being alone & most people dread this most of all.
(5) Death. People are fearful of death for many reasons. For many, they do not want to live this beautiful life. They have enjoyed life so much that they do not want it to end. They view death as the end of what they cherish. For others, death is the GREAT UNKNOWN. They are fearful of the other side & what to expect once they are dead. A few fear that there will be a complete cessation of any form of their consciousness after they die. Some fear death because they fear going to hell.