Billie Kelpin profile image 90

What are your best examples to easily identify errors of logic and faulty reasoning?

Whether it's false cause, circular reasoning, faulty analogies, etc., logic seems to elude all of us in our discussions. We can often recognize that an argument doesn't make sense, but often we aren't able to explain exactly why. We might have studied logic in high school or college, but the subject is difficult to grasp. Unfortunately, tricks of logic used by political radio and TV hosts have mastered and use to confuse people to create a large audience and convince them of their views. It seems critical that society needs to be able to identify flaws of logic much better than we do.

adagio4639 profile image81

Best Answer adagio4639 says

• Austinstar profile image

Austinstar 2 years ago

"Logic is not opinion"! Perfect! Everyone assumes that their opinion is valid even without proof.

promisem profile image93

Scott Bateman (promisem) says

• adagio4639 profile image

adagio4639 2 years ago

I agree Scott. Their idea seems to be to look for as many things to verify or validate their already held conviction, rather then look for the things that would falsify it. Unfortunately that won't make their belief true.

cam8510 profile image93

Chris Mills (cam8510) says

• Billie Kelpin profile image

Billie Kelpin 2 years ago

Chris, Excellent point. It seems to be at the core of logic, right? I heard what you're speaking of called "intellectural honesty".

• Billie Kelpin profile image

Billie Kelpin 2 years ago

so, hmmm...Tim,

Your comment triggered the memory of Keat's "Ode to a Grecian Urn" in my mind

"'Beauty is truth, truth beauty,—that is all

Ye know on earth, and all ye need to know.'"

Lady Guinevere profile image59

Debra Allen (Lady Guinevere) says

• Billie Kelpin profile image

Billie Kelpin 2 years ago

Debra, namecalling is horrendous and a terrible discussion tactic. I couldn't agree with you more. That and insulting a person immediately closes down all conversation and any hope for mutual growth and learning. Thanks!

Austinstar profile image79

Austinstar says

• Billie Kelpin profile image

Billie Kelpin 2 years ago

You've got that right, Austinstar! Funny story. 99% of my friends LOVED Lady Gaga's performance.I told my friend I might have to revisit my opinion and change my negative view.She said, "Oh, no, never give up your opinions"! (Not a good philosophy)