Venkatachari M profile image 84

Why is he called as a "psychic"?

Whenever I hear the word "psychic" it does not struck to my mind that it is used to refer to a man of supernatural powers, who can foresee things. I always think of a mental patient or lunatic. Just like "Oh! he is a psychic". So, I am worried why this word "psychic" is being used to refer to a person of future vision. There should be some other name to refer to such extraordinary people, like soothsayer or saint or any other noun.

Sparklea profile image72

Sparklea says

• Venkatachari M profile image

Venkatachari M 2 years ago

Glad to read your experiences. I also had some experiences of my own with such seers. We refer to them as astrologer, seer, soothsayer, like that.

Phyllis Doyle profile image91

Phyllis Doyle Burns (Phyllis Doyle) says

• Venkatachari M profile image

Venkatachari M 2 years ago

But, I used to regard psycho and psychic as synonyms and that is why I feel using this word very embarrassing.

integrater profile image60

Certified Noob (integrater) says

• Venkatachari M profile image

Venkatachari M 2 years ago

Thanks for the reply. I am happy to see that I am not totally wrong in associating this word in that other sense. You have cleared my doubts.