Venkatachari M profile image 56

Why is he called as a "psychic"?

Whenever I hear the word "psychic" it does not struck to my mind that it is used to refer to a man of supernatural powers, who can foresee things. I always think of a mental patient or lunatic. Just like "Oh! he is a psychic". So, I am worried why this word "psychic" is being used to refer to a person of future vision. There should be some other name to refer to such extraordinary people, like soothsayer or saint or any other noun.

Phyllis Doyle profile image97

Phyllis Doyle Burns (Phyllis Doyle) says

Sparklea profile image74

Sparklea says

• Venkatachari M profile image

Venkatachari M 2 years ago

Glad to read your experiences. I also had some experiences of my own with such seers. We refer to them as astrologer, seer, soothsayer, like that.

integrater profile image61

Certified Noob (integrater) says

• Venkatachari M profile image

Venkatachari M 2 years ago

Thanks for the reply. I am happy to see that I am not totally wrong in associating this word in that other sense. You have cleared my doubts.

• Venkatachari M profile image

Venkatachari M 2 years ago

But, I used to regard psycho and psychic as synonyms and that is why I feel using this word very embarrassing.