Genna East profile image 86

What steps do you think we should take to improve our education system?

I'd like to see more courses in our high schools that embrace the arts and the humanities, and performance-based assessments as opposed to "teaching to the test."

lisavollrath profile image94

Lisa Vollrath (lisavollrath) says

• Genna East profile image

Genna East 22 months ago

I did as well, Lisa. Thank you for your answer. They should be teaching students how to think, and creativity is a must. :-)

• Genna East profile image

Genna East 22 months ago

Well said! My Dad was a research biologist, and he was appalled when he looked at my son's biology text book; he said the school was teaching science that was outdated by 10 years. Involvement in our children's education is key.

James A Watkins profile image92

James A Watkins says

cam8510 profile image92

Chris Mills (cam8510) says

• Genna East profile image

Genna East 22 months ago

What a thoughtful answer. And I agree in that great teachers should be recognized and encouraged.

chef-de-jour profile image89

Andrew Spacey (chef-de-jour) says

• Genna East profile image

Genna East 22 months ago

Thanks for taking the time to answer, Andrew. :-)And I agree with you...science, technology and math have taken the lead over the arts and the humanities. Memorization versus the ability to think quantitatively or creatively is taking its toll.

• Genna East profile image

Genna East 22 months ago

Thanks for that answer, peachy.

dianetrotter profile image80

G. Diane Nelson Trotter (dianetrotter) says

• Genna East profile image

Genna East 22 months ago

So true! Education begins in the home; and this is part of the nurturing that provides children with a foundation in life. Schools can't and shouldn't do it all.