Is a Blue Moon, such as the one tonight, ever really blue in color, or does it mean it is rare?

Tonight there is going to be a special Blue Moon. I do not believe I've ever seen one, but wonder if it is called a Blue Moon because it is a rare happening, being there are two full months this month. Has anyone ever seen a Blue Moon, and is it blue and what is the real reason why they are calling it a Blue Moon? Thank you for answering.

bravewarrior profile image93

Best Answer Shauna L Bowling (bravewarrior) says

Oh, how cool, dear Sha, that you have addressed the color of blue aspect of my question and have found truly fascinating facts as to why and how the blue may occur! Awesome answer. Thank you!

Anne Harrison profile image99

Anne Harrison says

Hi Anne, I have learned something new in your answer here ...the belewe, and how interesting about the "to betray" ...thanks for the link too. Yes, I've wondered about that saying, once in a blue moon.

frogyfish profile image80

frogyfish says

Hi frogyfish, yes, there are some great answers here. Oh, wow, you have come up with additional and interesting information! LOL on the being round and weighs a ton ...Cheers!

Hazel Abee profile image76

Hazel Abee says

Hi Hazel, yes, I did about the rare occurrence of the Blue Moon and then the added information about when it does have a blue hue to it. I know there are many songs about the "Blue Moon" and that common phrase.

Elsie Hagley profile image63

Elsie Hagley says

HI Elsie, thank you so much for answering. Yes, I think you are right. I think it may be light gray or pale and then sometimes blue, as that photo I have is from wiki ...? I need to go out and look again.

syzygyastro profile image79

William J. Prest (syzygyastro) says

Hi William, yes, that is what I was thinking. I just saw the moon and it is not blue lol. That is so interesting about the calendars! Thank you for sharing those important facts as they are pertinent!

Wow, Paula, thank you so much! No, you did not confuse me at all. I appreciate the in-depth answer and now I get it. I am looking now too, and it is still not quite dark enough. The blue moon song keeps going through my mind. You're awesome!

We are talking about the rare occasion when two full moons occur in one month, and Sha has shared how sometimes it may appear blue in color. There are many songs written about "Blue Moon".