Is a Blue Moon, such as the one tonight, ever really blue in color, or does it mean it is rare?

Tonight there is going to be a special Blue Moon. I do not believe I've ever seen one, but wonder if it is called a Blue Moon because it is a rare happening, being there are two full months this month. Has anyone ever seen a Blue Moon, and is it blue and what is the real reason why they are calling it a Blue Moon? Thank you for answering.

bravewarrior profile image94

Best Answer Shauna L Bowling (bravewarrior) says

Faith Reaper 20 months ago

Oh, how cool, dear Sha, that you have addressed the color of blue aspect of my question and have found truly fascinating facts as to why and how the blue may occur! Awesome answer. Thank you!

frogyfish profile image85

frogyfish says

Faith Reaper 20 months ago

Hi frogyfish, yes, there are some great answers here. Oh, wow, you have come up with additional and interesting information! LOL on the being round and weighs a ton ...Cheers!

Anne Harrison profile image88

Anne Harrison says

Faith Reaper 20 months ago

Hi Anne, I have learned something new in your answer here ...the belewe, and how interesting about the "to betray" ...thanks for the link too. Yes, I've wondered about that saying, once in a blue moon.

Faith Reaper 20 months ago

Wow, Paula, thank you so much! No, you did not confuse me at all. I appreciate the in-depth answer and now I get it. I am looking now too, and it is still not quite dark enough. The blue moon song keeps going through my mind. You're awesome!

Hazel Abee profile image78

Hazel Abee says

Faith Reaper 20 months ago

Hi Hazel, yes, I did about the rare occurrence of the Blue Moon and then the added information about when it does have a blue hue to it. I know there are many songs about the "Blue Moon" and that common phrase.

Elsie Hagley profile image78

Elsie Hagley says

Faith Reaper 20 months ago

HI Elsie, thank you so much for answering. Yes, I think you are right. I think it may be light gray or pale and then sometimes blue, as that photo I have is from wiki ...? I need to go out and look again.

syzygyastro profile image83

William J. Prest (syzygyastro) says

Faith Reaper 20 months ago

Hi William, yes, that is what I was thinking. I just saw the moon and it is not blue lol. That is so interesting about the calendars! Thank you for sharing those important facts as they are pertinent!

Faith Reaper 20 months ago

We are talking about the rare occasion when two full moons occur in one month, and Sha has shared how sometimes it may appear blue in color. There are many songs written about "Blue Moon".