ArtsAutosBooksBusinessEducationEntertainmentFamilyFashionFoodGamesGenderHealthHolidaysHomeHubPagesPersonal FinancePetsPoliticsReligionSportsTechnologyTravel

Beginning Bookbinding

Updated on May 16, 2011

Bookbinding for beginners

As the book world weens its way from paper to digital, more and more people are seeking instruction on hand bookbinding. Whether to repair books in the home library, to create sketchbooks and journals more inexpensively, or to give as gifts. In searching for online sources, easily available to my students, I've collected a number of links, videos, and tutorials to help the beginning bookbinder.

As the Internet is ever changing, please let me know whenever a link ceases to work. I will try to update with new resources when possible.

Parts of a Book

Bookbinding Terms & Tools

Bookbinding, like any trade, has its own language and set of tools. This can be somewhat intimidating to the newcomer, so I'm including a small glossary of terms and tools to get you started:

ACCORDION FOLD: A method of folding a sheet of paper, first to the right and then to the left, so that the sheet opens and closes in the manner of an accordion. Also called concertina fold, or zig-zag fold.

AWL: A pointed tool used to pierce holes in paper for sewing or for punching holes in book boards.

BEE'S WAX: wax used to coat linen sewing thread. This prevents the thread from slipping and sliding within the binding and provides for less wear and tear on a book.

BINDER'S BOARD: also called Book Board, Davey Board, or simply "boards". Used as the covering for hard back/case bound books. (looks like chip board or cardboard)

BOOK BLOCK: the guts of the book, usually consisting of the text block and end papers (everything but the covers).

BOOK CLOTH: general term for any fabric used to cover book boards.

CASE BINDNG: type of bookbinding in which the covers of the book are made separately from the book block and later attached to it by gluing the end papers of the text block to the inside of the cover boards.

CHAIN STITCH: also called a Kettle Stitch. A stitch in a sewn binding that resembles the links of a chain. Ornamental.

COPTIC BINDING: this refers to an historic style of binding which usually uses a chain or kettle type stitch.

CORDS: generally cotton, hemp, linen, or silk. Cords extend across the spine side of the text block and are used in sewing the book block together. They can either be sunk into saw cuts in the sections, (called RECESSED), or they can rest against the sections (called RAISED).

ENDPAPERS: two or more leaves placed in the front and back of a book between its covers and text block. The endpaper unit is made up of the PASTEDOWN and the WASTE SHEET or FLYLEAF. This is usually made up of decorative papers (ie marbled).

FLY LEAF: the portion of the End Papers that is not glued to the inner cover.

FOLIO: The book size resulting from folding a sheet one time, giving leaves half the size of the sheet.

FORE EDGE: sometimes called the FRONT EDGE. The edge of the book opposite the spine.

HEAD: the top edge of the book

HEADBAND: in modern books, this is a decorative element found at the head and tail of a book, sandwiched between the book block and spine. Historically, these were sewn into the book to give added strength to the spine.

KETTLE STITCH: The stitch made near the head and tail of a book sewn on tapes or cords, and which holds the sections (other than the first and last) together.

NON-SEWN BINDING: a binding in which adhesive is used rather than sewing. (ADHESIVE BINDING)

PAMPHLET BINDING: usually comprising of a single bound signature.

POLYVINYL ACETATE: (PVA) a white or clear glue made of vinyl resin that is easy to dilute & spread, and is resistant to mold & mildew.

QUARTER BINDING: A binding having the spine and a small part of the sides (about one-eighth the width of the boards) covered with one material, with the rest of the boards covered with another.

ROUNDING: The process of molding the spine of a text block into an arc of approximately one-third of a circle, which in the process produces the characteristic concave fore edge of the book. Rounding takes place after the spine has been given a light coat of adhesive, and is accomplished by means of light hammering along the spine with a round-headed hammer.

SIGNATURE: folded sections of paper in which 2, 4, or 8 pages are tucked into one another.

SPINE: 1. The collective fold-areas sections of a gathered book after sewing. Sometimes called "back." 2. That part of the covering material of a book which covers the folds of the sections of a book and which is the part usually visible as it stands on the shelf. It generally bears the title, author.

TAIL: The lower or bottom edge of a book.

TEXT BLOCK: The body of a book.

Video Tutorials

Peter Baumgartner of Papierdesign in Germany has created a series of 6 video tutorials on bookbinding. Baumgartner goes over how to make a rounded back, hardcover book using a sewn tape technique. The process is laid out for you step by step and is easy to follow. He doesn't really go over the supplies he's using, so if you're new to bookbinding you may want to refer back to the materials & definitions portion of this page.

Update: Baumgartner has moved his videos to and allows you to preview the series for free. The entire series is now available for $9.90 via paypal. (Having seen the entire series before he removed them from YouTube, and considering other video tutorials are three to ten times as much, I'd say it's a well worth the price.)

Japanese Style


Submit a Comment

No comments yet.


This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at:

Show Details
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the or domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)