- Education and Science
A College Student's First Kitchen
Or ... Hey I Have My First Apartment - What do I do with this room with a stove in it?
It's that big mysterious room that when you were growing up, your mother went into and wonderful foods came out. A kitchen. Now that you have your very own kitchen, what should you put in it? This lens will guide you to some basic tools and equipment that is necessary for your first kitchen. I'll also point you to some great places to find some of these treasures. Let get started!
Equipment for Your Kitchen
So what does a college student need in their kitchen? If they are in a dorm room - they will only have enough room for a microwave and a refridgerator. When they get their own kitchen, they can begin to get a few items to cook with.
- Skillet: This will come in handy for making hamburgers or any other recipe that calls for a little frying/cooking.
- Saucepan: This could be used to steam vegetables (stop using the steam bags and buy a steamer), make rice or a number of other things.
- Crockpot: Chili is our favorite thing to cook in a Crockpot. The college student could start this in the morning before they go off to class and when they get home and are ready to take a break and eat - it is all ready for them - just like when Mom made supper!
- Blender: It's not for what you think it's for! Give them some smoothie recipes. Another great way for them to get their fruit! You can freeze the berries (strawberries and blueberries, etc) and then put them into your smoothie and enjoy your fresh fruit!
- Pizza Pan: The most basic of all pieces for the college student! Whether it is a frozen pizza or one they create from "scratch" - they will need one of these!
- 8 x 8 or 9 x 9 pan: This is more for those that like to bake during times of stress - bake brownies. A good plate of brownies can get anyone through an all nighter!
Where to Get Your Kitchen Equipment
There are many places to get your starter tools for your kitchen.
You can go to the major department stores: Macy's, JC Penney's, etc. They have a great selection of equipment. The great thing is that you can go and walk out with everything you need.
You could also shop at your local thrift stores. It may take you a little longer to find everything you need, but the price will be better.
Online shopping can be the way to go. You can do your shopping in your PJ's and have it shipped to your door. You can shop different online stores like: Shop at Housewares deals and save up to 60%, 70%, 80%, or even 90% off the retail price. or get a 5-pc. Nonstick Calphalon Bakeware Set - Save 50% at Cooking.com! (Only $49.99).
The Popcorn Popper
Best hot air popper! Convenient, natural and light! Pops regular or gourmet popping corn with hot air, not oil, for a healthy, low calorie treat ! Fast! Pops up to 18 cups of gourmet corn in less than 2 1/2 minutes. Leaves virtually no un-popped kernels.