Facts About Rape
The Crime of Rape
Facts about Rape
Sexual assault crimes are on a rise, I sincerely hope that this is because of an increase in the reporting of these crimes as opposed to an increase in the actual instances of rape. Here are some facts to know about rape:
1. Date rape is when the person you’re dating rapes you.
2. Date rape can happen on a first date, or even after you’ve been dating awhile.
3. Acquaintance rape is when someone you know rapes you. Not someone you’re dating.
4. A rape occurs every 6 seconds in America.
5. Alcohol is the most common date rape drug.
6. An attacker will use either physical force or a weapon.
7. The lack of physical force can still be rape.
8. Many date rapes don’t involve weapons.
9. Over 60 percent of rapes are committed by someone the victim knows.
10. You always have the right to say no.
11. If someone doesn’t take no for an answer it is rape.
12. Rape happens in marriage as well.
13. Women are not the only victims of rape. Men are also raped.
14. Men are not the only perpetrators of rape. Women can rape too.
15. If you are told no, you must respect that.
16. If you don’t know, ask.
17. A man’s physical size may scare a woman without him realizing it.
18. A woman may not say no if she thinks she’ll be hurt.
19. Sexual excitement does not justify forcing sex.
20. Rape is not an act of passion; it is a crime of violence.
21. Rape is not about sex, it is about power and control.
22. Having sex with someone that is too drunk to say no is rape.
23. Your instincts are usually right; if someone makes you uncomfortable you could be in
24. Meet a new date in a public place.
25. Clearly state that you don’t want to have sex.
26. If you’re able run away.
27. If it becomes unsafe to resist rape, it is still not your fault.
28. Rape is emotionally devastating.
29. If raped get help immediately.
30. Call the police, go to the hospital.
31. Tell a trusted family member and ask them for help.
32. Go to the doctors before you shower.
33. If you are raped get checked for STD’s
34. Just because you were raped by someone you know you still have the same legal rights.
35. Rapist are not one time offenders, they will do it again.
36. Press charges to save someone else the indignity of being raped.
37. Rape is never the victims fault.
38. When informed that your loved one has been raped, believe them. It is the best way to be supportive.
Report the Crime
In conclusion, I hope this article helps any victim understand and come to terms with what has happened. If you do become a victim it is of the utmost importance that you get help immediately. Although you may feel ashamed it is important to get professional medical and law enforcement help. If someone robs your house, you’ll call the police. A robbery is a minor crime compared to rape. Report it to the police. They are well trained and know how to help you.
- Reporting Rape - Rape and Sexual Abuse Survivors Message Board and Chat Room
Information on reporting rape and help on how to recovery and heal.
- Rape Crisis Information Pathfinder
This is another website that describes the reporting process and how to get a conviction.
- Reporting Rape
This website give you an overview of the rape reporting process.