jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Qwark..can any definition based on logical thought be factual? If not, then God

1. Ashmi profile image58
    Ashmiposted 7 years ago

Qwark..can any definition based on logical thought be factual? If not, then God is unprovable.

I ask this because you are always on the lookout for proof in the existence of God. You are an extremely intelligent man (after reading your hubs) however: I am confused over this incessant demand for proof;  when you should know that the proof that you say will satisfy you is no proof at all. Any definition is just an idea. Words  strung together forming an imaginary concept. How can an opinion expressed in language prove to you God is real?

Surely the only real proof is if you directly experience God yourself? And as experience is not transferable there can never be a shareable proof?

2. profile image49
    Jay Hunterposted 7 years ago

The desire for proof comes from our ability to only conceptualize things emperically.  The big questions are not proveable in the traditional way.  That does not mean there are not true or real answers. 
    For example: Can you prove the universe is limited or unlimited?
    For us it goes on forever, but how can forever be real? Where is the start and the finish? Because of the way our world works, we view things in one way, but not all things work according to the rules of this world. 
    If you think of life itself, although we know some of the mechanisms and can explain how some of them work, we cannot explain the process of the actual creation.
    Can you prove love? What is it? You cannot see it - only the results of love are observable.  You can feel it, but you can't see the feelings. You know it is real, but you would be hard pressed to prove it by scientific exam. 
    We can drive ourselves nuts thinking about it. LOL!

3. qwark profile image57
    qwarkposted 7 years ago

Hi Ashmi:
    I have no idea where you are coming from?
    I have NEVER asked for "proof" of this god thing.
    Why would I ask for "proof" of something that can't be defined in other than opinion or conjecture?
    I ask for a definition that FACTUALLY (operative word) defines this god thing so that I can "consider" it.
    There is no monotheistic scripture that does that.
    The bible,torah,qur'an all refer to a supernatural entity, but only define it in terms of opinion.
    The English dictionary defines god as: "the supreme reality, the creator and ruler of the universe." Isn't that just "opinion? i.e. a belief stronger than impression and less strong than positive knowledge.
    I would be considered to be a fool if I asked for proof of that which can only be opined.
    Thanks for asking Ashmi.

4. Ashmi profile image58
    Ashmiposted 7 years ago

Factually?..what can I say....the world in front of you is God? God is the world?

Closed to reply