English Lessons for The Simpsons
The Simpsons - Brazil
This is a series of English lessons to accompany the hit US sitcom. They are designed so that you can learn English vocabulary and grammar but have fun at the same time. I publish all my video lessons on my website, but I plan to paste many onto these squidoo pages because I think that learning through TV shows is the most valuable resource for foreign language acquisition. I currently teach English on Skype, but I appreaciate that there are many students out there who can't afford expensive private tuition, and so I hope they find these lessons useful for self study. To anyone in this position, I would recommend just finding some foreign friends on Skype and discussing these episodes.
The Simpsons is just one TV show for which I make lessons. The IT Crowd, Sherlock Holmes and The Office are also available, and will be coming to squidoo soon....
1) Where does Homer want to go next year?
2) What are the three travel tips for Brazil?
3) Why does Homer tell Bart to forget every word of Spanish?
4) What's the first site which they see?
5) Why did the government paint the slums bright colours?
6) Why does the woman selling juice pretend to know Ronaldo?
7) Why is Homer happy when he first finds out he is being kidnapped?
8) What's written on top of Homer's taxi?
9) How much money do Homer's captors want?
10) What is 'Stockholm syndrome'?
Match the two columns to make well known expressions from the episode
Fill in the sentences with the expressions in the correct form
1) The ??????? were full of rats.
2) You should never get into an ???????
3) Homer wasn't able to afford the ???????
4) Lisa told Homer some excellent ??????? for going to Brazil.
5) Marge thought that the ??????? was unsuitable entertainment for Bart.
6) Homer was delighted to find out that the ??????? was free!
7) Marge thought that the city slums were a ???????
8) Homer and Lisa were impressed by the????????? when they first arrived.
1) What do you think are the three most important tips for tourists coming to visit your city/country?
2) Have you ever been to Brazil? Would you like to go? Why (not)?
3) Many stereotypes are used in the show. What is the stereotype of Brazilians and American tourists in your country?
4) Have you ever seen any Brazilian TV shows? What were they like?
5) Have there been any famous cases of kidnapping in your country? How much was demanded in ransom money? Was it paid?
English Lessons on Skype - Skype Lessons
Private English classes are available on Skype. Just add me to your Skype contacts by clicking on the picture above and we can try to find a convenient time for study. Prices start from 19 pounds for 45 minutes.
English Lessons with Blackadder
English Lessons for Jamie Oliver's school dinners
English lesson for Jamie's school dinners (episode 3)
English lessons with Sherlock Holmes - The Blue Carbuncle
English lessons with Sherlock - The Dancing Men
English Lessons with Sherlock
English Lessons with the IT Crowd
English Lessons for the Office
2) Only drink bottled water. Don't get in any unlicensed taxis. Remember that winter in Brazil is summer in America and vice versa.
3) Because they speak Portuguese in Brazil.
4) The statue of Christ.
5) So that the slums don't offend the tourists.
6) To distract the Simpsons while her children rob them.
7) Because the taxi fare is free!
9) $ 50000
10) A psychological term used when hostages identify and sympathise with their captors (kidnappers).
An unlicensed taxi
A charming neighbourhood
A statue of Christ
The city slums
A kid's show
1) city slums
2) unlicensed taxi
3) ransom money
4) travel tips
5) kids show
6) taxi fare
7) charming neighbourhood
8) statue of Christ