- Education and Science»
- Life Sciences»
- Insects & Bugs
Tips to Get Rid of Carpenter Ants Naturally and Surely
If your house is made of wood then be aware of the carpenter ants. They love to make their nests by making holes in wood. You need to get rid of carpenter ants as soon as possible after discovering them. You may have tried to make your house free from ants many times using various pesticides before. But random use of pesticides is not advisable for health concerns and environmental hazards.
Carpenter ants are colonial insects. These pests have scouts all over to search for food. If a bit of food has been found by such a scout then it will mark the place using a special chemical spoor. When the atom of this chemical spoor floats to the antennae of the worker ants they started to the source of the scent. In this way, the workers enter into your house in search of food.
How to Make Your House free from Carpenter Ants
1) You have learnt that the worker ants found the bit of food inside your house by following the scent spoor of some scout ant out there. So, you need to clear the scent to stop the signal to come. Find out where the ants are going. After that clean that area of any food and ants. You need to use some bleaching powder to overshadow any types of scent spoors used by the carpenter ants.
2) Find out the carpenter ants hive. It may be outside your house in a nearby place. You can pour hot water inside the ant hole to get rid of them.
3) Sometimes, hot water is not sufficient enough to kill all the carpenter ants because of the complex structure of an ant hive. The hot water may not touch every member of the colony inside. If you use some soda water then this problem will be solved. Soda will produce carbon di oxide which will fill the ant hole. As a result all of the ants will die for not getting oxygen to breath.
4) You can also mix boric acid with sugar to use against the ants. Mix a little boric acid with sugar and fill it inside the ant hole. The ants will be tempted by the scent of the sugar and they will eat all the mixture. As a result, the boric acid will kill the ants.
5) Another way of getting rid of carpenter ants is to seal the mouth of the ant hole.
6) While cleaning your house always look for the small bits of foods. These will attract the carpenter ants to your house.
Best Way to find out the Carpenter Ants Hives
To eradicate ants completely from your house you need to find out their hive. This is the source of your trouble. You can find it out easily by using some bait. Use some sugar as baits to lure the ants. Soon, the scents of sugar will be caught by some of the scout ants with better sensitivity. They will come to investigate. Then they will give chemical call to the worker ants. Soon, you shall see a long line of ants carrying the sugar crystals. Now just follow the line and you shall find out the hives of the carpenter ants. After that using the methods stated above you can start destroying the ant’s nest.
Cast Your Vote
Do You Think Which Pest is Worse for Log Houses
Video: How to Track Carpenter Ant Trails
- Types of Ants
There are many types of ants in the world. They are one of the most successful life form in earth. That is why they are often in struggles with other successful lifeforms like us, the humans.