- Education and Science»
Gingerbread Man Lesson for Kindergarten
Ready for a fun kindergarten literature lesson on The Gingerbread Man? Compare and contrast two versions of the story, decorate gingerbread cookies, create character finger puppets to re-tell the story, and more in this fun literature lesson or "play date" activity! I created this lesson to do with my kindergarten literature class, which lasts an hour. Use this fun lesson with your class, family, or homeschool co-op group!
Please DO NOT copy this elsewhere without giving proper credit: http://iijuan12.hubpages.com/hub/gingerbread-man-lesson
1) Lay out cookie decorations, a baking sheet, a mixing bowl, and a mixing spoon on the table and ask the children to guess what book we might be reading today.
2) Read The Gingerbread Boy by Paul Galdone. Allow the children to repeat the Gingerbread Boy's repetitive theme with you as you read the story.
3) Read The Gingerbread Baby by Jan Brett. Again, allow the children to repeat the Gingerbread Baby's repetitive theme with you as you read the story.
4) On the white board, as a class create a Venn diagram to compare and contrast the two versions of the story.
This was our favorite classic version of the story. It includes nice illustrations and just enough text for young children to enjoy.
5) Act out The Gingerbread Baby using the printable masks found at janbrett.com. I simply printed off the masks and then stapled each one to construction paper strip stapled into a circle shape that could fit over the child's head. Since most of my students are still pre-readers, I told them their lines and they would repeat it after me.
If you'd prefer a different option, my students also really enjoyed this Texas-version of "The Gingerbread Man."
6) Have children color and cut out the gingerbread man finger puppet found at this link: Gingerbread Boy Finger Puppet. Encourage them to take the puppet home and use it to re-tell the story to a sibling, parent, or grandparent.
7) Allow children to decorate their own gingerbread "baby" cookies using pre-made gingerbread cookies, white frosting, and small candies/sprinkles. I allowed them to each eat one and then encouraged them to save the rest to share with their families. Be sure to also bring disposable plates, plastic knives for spreading the frosting, plastic wrap, and wet wipes for easy clean-up.
8) Pass out the Gingerbread Baby Word Search for children to work on until the end of class.
9) Handwriting Homework: Use the Gingerbread Cookie Recipe for handwriting practice.
Fun Versions of the Story to Watch
Have Extra Time?
Who's Your Favorite Character in "The Gingerbread Man?"
Looking for all of my lessons geared toward preschoolers and kindergarten-aged children?
Explore horse breeds, gaits, diet, and more through games, cooking, and activities in the lesson on horses. Create a model lighthouse, play a lighthouse game, read books about lighthouses, "tour" lighthouses using YouTube, and even eat a lighthouse in this fun, hands-on lesson on lighthouses. Act like privates while training at boot camp, paint camo-style hats, set up a tent, battle using army men, and more in this exciting lesson the military.
- Horse Lesson Plan for Younger Children - Do you have a young child who loves horses? Use this fun, hands-on lesson or play date activity to explore horse breeds, gaits, diet, and more!
- Building & Home Construction for Young Children - Do you have a young child who loves tools and building things? Build and paint a bird house, construct a house out of pretzels, and more in this fun, hands-on lesson exploring the world of home construction!
- Butterfly Lesson for Children - Do you have a young child who loves butterflies? Create butterfly crafts and snacks, play butterfly games, and more in this fun, hands-on lesson exploring the amazing world of butterflies!
- Ladybug Crafts for Kids - Do you have a young child like mine who loves ladybugs? Create easy and adorable ladybug crafts and edible ladybugs, read these delightful ladybug books, watch the short ladybug video clips, and assemble ladybug lapbooks and worksheets during this fun hands-on lesson on ladybugs.
- Japan Lesson Plan for Younger Children - Make an origami paper crane, a carp fish kite, a Japanese meal, a Japanese doll, and more in this fun hands-on activity about Japan.
- Lighthouse Lesson - Create a model lighthouse, play a lighthouse game, read books about lighthouses, tour lighthouses using YouTube, and even eat a lighthouse in this fun, hands-on lesson or family activity on lighthouses.
- Sheep, Wool, & Weaving Lesson - Looking for fun preschool and kindergarten ideas on sheep and wool? Make and eat edible sheep, card and dye wool, paint sheep paintings, and more in this fun activity on sheep and wool!
- Manners Lesson - Are you looking for a fun and interactive way to teach your children manners and etiquette? Use this fun role-playing lesson to practice manners at meals, on the phone, as a host or hostess, and more!
- Military Party for Children - Act like privates while training at boot camp, paint camo-style hats, set up a tent, battle using army men, and more in this fun 2 hour lesson, party, or family activity on the military.
- Laws and Obedience Lesson - Looking for a fun way to help preschoolers learn about obedience and laws? Create and eat edible 10 Commandments, play Cops and Robbers after reading about police officers, act of the fall of Adam and Eve, and more!
- Illusion & Deception Lesson - Use this fun, hands-on lesson or family activity to explore deception and illusions in art, magic tricks, literature, and more!
- Attributes of God Lesson for Young Children - Are you wondering how to teach your preschooler or young child about God and His character? Use this fun, hands-on lesson, family activity, or play group time to explore who God is and what He is like!
- Gingerbread Man Lesson for Kindergarten - Ready for a fun kindergarten literature lesson on The Gingerbread Man? Compare and contrast two versions of the story, decorate gingerbread cookies, create character finger puppets to re-tell the story, and more in this fun literature lesson on The Gingerbread Man!
- Fun, FREE Hands-on Unit Studies - Looking for all of my lessons and unit studies? Over the years I have posted over 30 science and social-studies based unit studies, compromised of more than 140 lessons. For each lesson I have included activities (with photos), our favorite books and YouTube video clips, lapbook links, and other resources. I posted links to all of my unit studies and lessons at the above link.