How to Prevent Suicidal Thoughts : Advice from a caring human friend!
There is always hope!
Suicide is NOT the solution.
Have you come to the last edge of your life where you now feel like killing yourself is the only solution for all your problems? Before we start discussing this topic in detail, I just want to ask you two questions. If you kill yourself, what makes you think that you're going to be resting in peace forever in your grave? What if you die and then regret making that choice in your after life and want to come back but you can't?
Do give those questions a serious thought while you're reading this page and after you're done. Just remember that while you're sitting in a corner thinking about suicide, there many thousands of people in this world are dying everyday due to all kinds of reasons. There are women and little girls getting gang raped and killed in the most disgusting ways possible in some parts of the world like Sri-Lanka. There are millions who are dying because of hunger. There are people dying every day because of war. There are people, young and old, getting murdered for no reason.
All of these are people who wanted to live but they didn't get the chance to like me and you. Now add these things to your thoughts while we move onto the next part of this article.
Life is hard but keep your head up and face it.
Which one of these 3 categories do you think you fit into?
People who're thinking about suicide usually fall into one of these three categories below:
- Absolutely hopeless: These are people who are going through extreme physical and mental abuse by another individual or group of people every day, for a long time. By physical/mental abuse, we're talking about the ones that fully harms the victim in every aspect to the point where he or she feels like there is no more hope and has no one to run to for help. People living in absolute poverty, in a condition where they can't even afford their daily meals and clean water to survive also fall into this category.
- Relatively hopeless: These are invidivials who can afford to live in a safety shelter, eat some decent meals everyday and have easy access to clean water. They might be going through some minor physical/mental abuses but it is definitely not as severe as the first category above. They might have problems in their life that causes severe depression and they end up thinking of suicide as the solution to escape from depression and anxiety. Some examples include break up from a long term relationship, betrayal of true love, divorce, loss of a loved one, joblessness etc.
- Excuses: My 3 months boyfriend broke up with me, best friend betrayed me, I didn't get the job I wanted, I don't feel pretty, I look fat, I'm pregnant at 16, my wedding got cancelled, I'm just bored of life and the list goes on.
These 3 categories are just some of the reasons why people choose to end their life but honestly none of them should do it. People in the absolutely hopeless category would love to be in the relatively hopeless or the excuses one and if they were, they’re highly unlikely to ever think about suicide. All they want is the basic needs for survival. If you have all the basic needs for life and you still want to kill yourself, just think about how lucky you are compared to the people in the first category.
While you're still alive, there is ALWAYS a hope for things to get better. Face the battle of life like a brave soldier and strive to overcome it.
Life Without Limbs: Inspirational Speech by Nick Vujicic
5 Things you can do to beat suicidal thoughts!
- Don't be alone! Once it strikes, the suicidal thought usually never leaves a person alone until they have done something about it. If you have been thinking about killing yourself more than twice, don't allow yourself to be alone all the time, especially at the time it comes. Even if loneliness is the reason why you wanted to die, try to get out and go somewhere peaceful whenever that thought pops into your head. Whether it's a walk to your local park, a quick visit to your church, friend's house etc. It doesn't matter where you go, but never allow yourself to be alone when the thought of suicide comes into your head. This is the first best thing you can do to help yourself.
- Watch Video Testimony: One of the best ways to get rid of suicidal thoughts is by watching video testimonies of people who have been through super hard times in life than you and how they overcame it. It will make you realize the fact that you are not the only one suffering and how life is far too precious to give up on. You can also watch videos of people living in absolute poverty, people who have suffered from war crimes and all kinds of videos that portray the sufferings of other people. This will also make you realize how valuable your life is and how much someone else will wholeheartedly appreciate to be alive and safe like you this very second.
- Encourage others: Try to join a real life community and or an online forum of people who are going through suicidal thoughts and encourage them to get rid of it. Do your best to help another person to get rid of this evil thought and eventually it will disappear from your heart too. It doesn't necessarily have to be just suicidal thought help, it can be anything really. Just help someone to feel better and see the positive side of life and you will see it happening in your life too.
- Make Peace: If you have hatred or ill feelings towards any of your loved ones, go and apologize and make peace with them. Give up the ego to allow your heart to have some peace. It will be an awesome feeling to make peace with someone you've hated for a long time and sometimes the enemies that you make peace with will become better friends than friends who betray behind your back.
- What is your most enjoyable activity? Is it swimming? Drawing? Dancing? Singing? Going out with friends? Travelling? Sightseeing? Praying? Whatever that you enjoy doing the most, do it the instant suicidal thought comes into your head. If it bothers you so much, think of it like you're trying to get the best out of your life before you die because when you take some time out to do the things you enjoy, your soul and mind will develop peace which in turn can help get rid of that thought.
You were born for a purpose and that purpose is NOT to commit suicide.
Everybody is going to die one day but to die is not the reason why you were created. There is a purpose for you in this world. Losing a loved one, being betrayed by a loved one, suffering from abuse and all kinds of stuff is sad and I know it causes unbearable pain but believe me, if you die, there is no coming back for another chance and that is the reality of death. Is that what you want?
Sit and write down the list of reasons death has given you to take a shot at it and then on another piece of paper, write down all the positive things that have ever happened to you and all the positive things, your dreams and ambitions that you would love to have in your future. Compare the 2 lists and ask yourself, is it really worth it to give up your precious life for all of those listed reasons you wanted to die? We’re talking about life here, something that money or nobody can ever bring back once it’s gone. Is that what you truly want? Can’t you hear that tiny little whisper in your heart saying “don’t do it, you only get one chance to live in this world.”? That little positive voice in your head is called hope. There is always hope for things to get better while you’re still alive. No matter how bad your situation is, if you want to change things around, trust me, you can. Get on that can do attitude and think about how many people’s lives that you might have a chance to influence in your future.
I’m a human just like you and I too have been through so many obstacles in my life but my lord Jesus has always helped me to overcome them. From betraying to getting betrayed, from marriage to divorce and terrible blood infection that no doctors were able to cure but Jesus got me out of them all when I cried out my heart to him. If you feel like you have no one real to share your sorrow with, call upon him and he will help you. Even if you don’t believe in god, cry your heart out to Jesus and he sure will help you. I have also tried to kill myself 3 times in my past and he saved me from those too.
If you want to share your sorrow with me, you can feel free to do that too. I’m not a magical cure for your problems but I will try my best to encourage you and help you to see the reasons why you need to live. If you check my profile on the top right corner of this page, there will be a link to my Facebook profile and you can send me a message on that. I don’t care how old you are, what gender you are, what religion you are, what race you are and what kind of crimes [if any] you have committed in your past, I, simply don’t want you to kill yourself. If my words can help comfort you and help you to change your mind, I am more than glad to do that for you so please feel free to contact me.