Japan Lesson Plan for Younger Children
Make an origami paper crane, a carp fish kite, a Japanese meal, a Japanese doll, and more! This lesson is geared toward preschool, Kindergarten, and 1st grade level children. I created this to do as a two hour "play date" with a few friends. Even if you're not meeting with friends, you can still use this fun lesson with your family or class!
1) Read "Japan" by David F. Marx.
2) Read "Yoko's Paper Cranes" by Rosemary Wells about origami and paper cranes.
3) Make origami paper crane using PRE-FOLDED paper.
7) Snack: Make "sushi" by putting sticky rice in ice cube tray, pushing finger through the middle, stuffing deli meat and a slice of carrot in the middle. If your children like vegetables, you can use pieces of broccoli stalk or broccoli slaw. Also serve iced green tea and Japanese snack mix. Use chopsticks to eat "sushi."
8) Read some of "Japanese celebrations : cherry blossoms, lanterns and stars!" by Betty Reynolds about Girl's Day and kimono.
9) Make Japanese dolls.
10) Read "Count your way through Japan" by James Haskins and practice counting in Japanese.
Family Field Trip
Go to a Japanese Festival. My children loved seeing the Japanese dancing, crafts, and arts performed here. They also loved tasting the various foods. International festivals are such a wonderful way to bring a culture alive without ever having to hop on an airplane!
Japan on YouTube: Visiting Japan
Japanese Lesson: Singing and Counting Small Objects
More Fun Lessons or Units on Japan
Looking for all of my lessons written specifically for preschoolers?
Explore horse breeds, gaits, diet, and more through games, cooking, and activities in the lesson on horses. Create a model lighthouse, play a lighthouse game, read books about lighthouses, "tour" lighthouses using YouTube, and even eat a lighthouse in this fun, hands-on lesson on lighthouses. Act like privates while training at boot camp, paint camo-style hats, set up a tent, battle using army men, and more in this exciting lesson the military.
- Horse Lesson Plan for Younger Children - Do you have a young child who loves horses? Use this fun, hands-on lesson or play date activity to explore horse breeds, gaits, diet, and more!
- Building & Home Construction for Young Children - Do you have a young child who loves tools and building things? Build and paint a bird house, construct a house out of pretzels, and more in this fun, hands-on lesson exploring the world of home construction!
- Butterfly Lesson for Children - Do you have a young child who loves butterflies? Create butterfly crafts and snacks, play butterfly games, and more in this fun, hands-on lesson exploring the amazing world of butterflies!
- Ladybug Crafts for Kids - Do you have a young child like mine who loves ladybugs? Create easy and adorable ladybug crafts and edible ladybugs, read these delightful ladybug books, watch the short ladybug video clips, and assemble ladybug lapbooks and worksheets during this fun hands-on lesson on ladybugs.
- Japan Lesson Plan for Younger Children - Make an origami paper crane, a carp fish kite, a Japanese meal, a Japanese doll, and more in this fun hands-on activity about Japan.
- Lighthouse Lesson - Create a model lighthouse, play a lighthouse game, read books about lighthouses, tour lighthouses using YouTube, and even eat a lighthouse in this fun, hands-on lesson or family activity on lighthouses.
- Sheep, Wool, & Weaving Lesson - Looking for fun preschool and kindergarten ideas on sheep and wool? Make and eat edible sheep, card and dye wool, paint sheep paintings, and more in this fun activity on sheep and wool!
- Manners Lesson - Are you looking for a fun and interactive way to teach your children manners and etiquette? Use this fun role-playing lesson to practice manners at meals, on the phone, as a host or hostess, and more!
- Military Party for Children - Act like privates while training at boot camp, paint camo-style hats, set up a tent, battle using army men, and more in this fun 2 hour lesson, party, or family activity on the military.
- Laws and Obedience Lesson - Looking for a fun way to help preschoolers learn about obedience and laws? Create and eat edible 10 Commandments, play Cops and Robbers after reading about police officers, act of the fall of Adam and Eve, and more!
- Illusion & Deception Lesson - Use this fun, hands-on lesson or family activity to explore deception and illusions in art, magic tricks, literature, and more!
- Attributes of God Lesson for Young Children - Are you wondering how to teach your preschooler or young child about God and His character? Use this fun, hands-on lesson, family activity, or play group time to explore who God is and what He is like!
- Gingerbread Man Lesson for Kindergarten - Ready for a fun kindergarten literature lesson on The Gingerbread Man? Compare and contrast two versions of the story, decorate gingerbread cookies, create character finger puppets to re-tell the story, and more in this fun literature lesson on The Gingerbread Man!
- Fun, FREE Hands-on Unit Studies - Looking for all of my lessons and unit studies? Over the years I have posted over 30 science and social-studies based unit studies, compromised of more than 140 lessons. For each lesson I have included activities (with photos), our favorite books and YouTube video clips, lapbook links, and other resources. I posted links to all of my unit studies and lessons at the above link.
Would you like to teach this way every day?
I use Konos Curriculum as a springboard from which to plan my lessons. It's a wonderful Christian curriculum and was created by moms with active children! You can even watch free on-line videos as Jessica, one of the co-authors of Konos, walks you through a unit. (Look for the Explanation Videos tab.)
If you're new to homeschooling or in need of some fresh guidance, I highly recommend Konos' HomeSchoolMentor.com program! Watch videos on-line of what to do each day and how to teach it in this great hands-on format!
© 2011 Shannon