- Education and Science»
- Sociology & Anthropology
Moon Magic and Myths
The Magic and Myths of The Moon
The Moon has always been associated with magic, folklore, superstitious beliefs and ancient rituals.
Lets delve a little deeper into some of these moon myths that surround us everyday (or should I say every night). Perhaps we may surprise or encourage you to explore more of this fascinating lunar lore and history for yourself....
"O wild and wondrous midnight,
There is a might in thee
To make the charmed body
Almost like spirit be,
And give it some faint glimpses
~James Russell Lowell, Midnight
Discover how your life can improve when you work with the ever-changing cycles of the Moon... Each month you are affected by the power of the Moon. Your energy levels wax and wane just as the Moon does, sometimes urging you to start new projects and other times to sit back and plan. When you know the Moon's effects on you, you can use its energy to work for you instead of against you.
Moon Myths and Superstitions
The night walked down the sky with the moon in her hand. ~Frederick L. Knowles
Every 30 days, the moon cycles from the darkest point, known as the new moon, to a bright round full moon.
Moon and Weather Lore:
- When the moon points up, the weather will be clear, when it points down, it will rain.
- Weather is most violent, when a large star, or planet, is orbiting near the moon.
- Fog and a small moon will bring an easterly wind.
Moon & The Tides:
- When the moon hangs low in the sky, the tides will be higher than normal.
- When the moon is at its brightest, the tides will be at their highest.
- Deaths occur most often when the tide is going out, and births occur when the tide is coming in.
Good Luck: Moon
- People once believed the moon was made of silver, so they would jingle the change in their pockets and ask the moon to bring them wealth.
- To cure warts, catch a moonbeam in a metal basin, while you wash your hands, say "I wash my hands in thy dish, 'O man in the moon, do grant my wish, and come and take this affliction away"
Bad Luck Moon:
- It was once thought that to sleep under direct moonlight would cause a person to go mad or blind. It was from this lore that the word "lunatic", originating from "luna", or moon, and "tic", meaning stricken arose.
The New Moon
A conservative is a man who will not look at the new moon out of respect for that "ancient institution" the old one. - Douglas Jerrold
New Moon Lore:
When a person sees the new moon for the first time, they are to bow to it three times in honor of the ancient Egyptian trinity; Osiris, Isis, and Horus (father, mother, and son).
- The new moon is an auspicious time for planting, courtship, starting a new business, or beginning a trip.
- In order to promote faster growth, a new moon is the best time to cut your hair and fingernails.
- According to an old English tradition, when a new wife sees the new moon for the first time after her wedding, she should quickly turn down her bed to ensure a happy marriage.
- At first sight of the new moon, flip a silver coin and make a wish.
- Seeing a new moon on a Monday will bring you good luck.
- When you see a new moon over your right shoulder, it ensures good times ahead.
- If you see the new moon for the first time and are holding something in both of your hands, you will never want for anything.
- A wish made while looking at new moon will come true within a year.
- It is unlucky to view the first new moon through glass objects or trees, it is also unlucky to point directly at the new moon.
- It is bad luck to dig a grave or bury a body during a new moon.
- If a new moon occurs on a Monday, then the weather will be clear.
- If a new moon occurs on a Saturday, then there will be twenty days of wind and rain.
- If a new moon occurs on a Sunday, there will be a flood before the month's end.
- The strongest storms and hurricanes are likely to be 1-3 days after a new moon and 3-5 days after a full moon.
AND FINALLY FOR SINGLE WOMEN
Glance at the moon over your right shoulder and say:
New moon, new moon, true and bright,
If I have a lover let me dream of him tonight.
If I am to marry far, let me hear a bird cry;
If I am to marry near, let me hear a cow low;
If I am to marry never, let me hear a hammer knock.
The Crescent Moon
If the Sun and Moon should ever doubt, they'd immediately go out. - William Blake
- To see a thin crescent over ones left shoulder is auspicious.
- Charms and Amulets, in the shape of a crescent moon, are used to protect you from the evil eye, witchcraft and bring you wealth. The crescent should always point to the left, representing the moon's first quarter, when things prosper and grow.
- In Roman times, to have a healthy baby, women wore silver crescent moons on their shoes.
Moon Jewelry Gifts
The Full Moon - When I admire the wonders of a sunset or the beauty of the moon, my soul expands in the worship of the creator. - Mohandas Gandhi
Full Moon Lore:
Witches are thought to ride during a Full Moon.
- A man/werewolf can shape-shift into a wolf during the full moon.
- Two full Moons in the same month will cause harsh weather the following month.
- Women who stare at the full moon, or lay in the moonlight, will become pregnant. Some say she will give birth to a monster.
- If you marry during the Full Moon, you will have good luck and good fortune.
- Children who are born during a full moon, will be strong.
- To get rid of a wart, blow on it nine times while the Moon is full.
- You will be caught if you try to commit robbery on the third day of a full moon.
- A full Moon on Christmas day brings misfortune.
Rings Around The Moon
Moon! Moon! I am prone before you. Pity me, and drench me in loneliness. - Amy Lowell
- Many rings around the moon will bring about a series of severe storms.
- A single ring around the moon that disappears quickly, means good weather.
- A constant ring around the moon means rain or snow.
- It is said that "When the New Moon holds the Old Moon in its Arms", meaning that a ring is seen circling the New Moon, ships will be lost at sea.
Celestial Gift Ideas
The Harvest Moon - I have seen the movement of the sinews of the sky, And the blood coursing in the veins of the moon. - Muhammad Iqbal
The Harvest Moon:
Just before hunting season begins in many areas around the world, the "Hunter's Moon" is said to begin. Thus, it also stands to reason that the "Harvest Moon" that rises bright in the autumn sky, providing valuable light during the annual harvest, stems from the season as well.