Create Your Own Glass Music - a Fun Science Experiment for Kids!
Is The Glass Singing?
If you are looking to create your own glass music, then you have landed at the right place. Most of us love music. Adults and kids alike love to relax to their favorite tunes after a hard day. Do you know that you can create your own music by using simple items? All you need are a few stem glasses, water, and different food colorings and you are all set to create your own unique glass music.
Things You Will Need
- Stem glasses of various shapes and sizes.
- Food coloring
How To Make Your Glass Sing
- Fill half of a stem glass with water.
- Dip your finger into it.
- Hold the base of the glass firmly and press your wet finger of the other hand onto the rim of the glass.
- Move your wet finger slowly around the rim of the glass.
- You will hear the glass singing! This happens because of the vibrations produced by the glass when you move your wet finger around the rim.
You can now try this experiment out with different shaped stem glasses. Make the whole experiment a little more colorful and vibrant by adding a different food coloring to the water in each of the stem glasses. Additionally, when you use different shaped stem glasses you will get variations in your glass music! Now changing the level of water in each of them. You will get a different sound from each stem glass. For instance, a larger glass filled with water produces a lower note whereas a smaller stem glass filled with less water produces a sharper ringing sound.
© 2011 Kalpana Iyer