- Education and Science»
- Home Schooling & Life Experience Education
Teaching Tall and Short to Kids
Tall and Short
Resources and Activities to Teach Tall and Short
This lesson will encourage children to compare the height of various objects. They should begin using the words taller and shorter to compare 2 objects. If the child is comfortable with the words taller and shorter, introduce tallest and shortest to compare 3 or more items. Also you will find signs for ASL and worksheets to compare tall and short.
Activities to Teach Tall and Short and Compare Height
Tall and Short to Compare Height
1. Place 2 cups on the table. Place a hand over the top of each cup.
2. Ask if the cups are the same height. If the child doesn't know, explain that you must compare height by looking from top to bottom.
3. Round up various items from throughout the kitchen. Set them on the table rest your hands at the top of each one to help the child identify and compare their height. See how many objects you can identify as taller or shorter. If they are the same say, "same height."
Compare Your Height
1. Stand in front of a full-length mirror with the child.
2. Ask, "are we the same height?" "Who is taller?" "Who is shorter?"
3. Now, squat on your knees to make yourself shorter than the child. If necessary, have them stand on a chair. Now, ask the same questions, "Who is taller?" "Who is shorter?"
Write the Words Taller and Shorter
1. Write the words "TALLER" and "SHORTER" on index cards. Read the words to the child.
2. Have the child practice gathering various objects and comparing them, as done in the "Kitchen Comparison" above. This time, have the child compare by labeling each object with the correct index card.
Further practice and reinforcement is provided below. Worksheets are a wonderful way to practice "ringing" the tallest or shortest item. The video may help if your child is struggling with the concept. Also books about taller and shorter can help a struggling learner.
Tall and Short Sign Language Video
Below is an American Sign Language (ASL) video to learn the signs for tall and short. Some people think that sign language for children that are verbal, but studies show that learning sign language facilitates speech and encourages children to talk sooner. It's often implemented in early intervention programs for verbal, as well as non-verbal children.
American Sign Language (ASL) for Tall and Short
Tall and Short Worksheets
Worksheets to Teach Tall and Short to Kids
Kid's Learning Station Worksheet
This worksheet displays 4 sets of shapes. In each set, choose the tall shape and short shape.
Look at the first picture in the row and name the shape. Next, draw the same shape taller.
Circle the taller shape in each set. Put and x on the shorter picture
Tall and Short Worksheet
Circle the object that is short.
Tall and Short Glasses - Teaching Tall and Short with Glasses
Kitchen Activity to Teach Tall and Short to Kids
1. Set a tall glass next to a short glass
2. Let the child choose their favorite beverage and fill both glasses.
3. Ask the child if they want the tall glass or the short glass.
Short and Tall Book
This is a book about opposites. It explores short and tall animal opposites. It also explores hard shell and soft animals, as well as other opposites in the animal world.
Sesame Street Video Exploring Tall and Short
Bert and Ernie explore things that are tall with the "tall hat lady."
© 2010 hsschulte