- Education and Science
The Bible Meets Potato Chip Science - The Bags
Sunday School Lessons for Kids
If you've stopped by any of my other webpages, you know by now, I love to help people see Christ in the everyday. Every aspect of our life can show us something about God; and potatoes, potato chips and science are no exception!
My daughter found these really cool science experiments that are great for kids! But when I heard about them, the first thing I thought of was "That will make a great object lesson for a Sunday School Class." And with that "The Bible Meets Potato Chip Science" was born.
I've finally created enough lessons that it was getting too much for this one page, so at the bottom you'll find links to 4 other pages that feature the other categories of Potato Chip Science Experiments.
The "Potato Chip Science" book is the copywritten work of Allen Kurzweil and his son, Max, so I can't give you the experiments here. That means you'll have to purchase the Potato Chip Science kit. I'll put a link to it below so you'll be able to find it easily. But check out what's below and enjoy!
And remember . . . look for Christ in everything everyday . . . He is there! I promise!
Potato Chip Science
Kurzweil divides the science into five sections, each one designed to help kids understand a branch of Natural Science.
Bags - for Astronomy
Chips - for Biology
Lids - for Chemistry
Spuds - for Earth Science
Tubes - for Physics
Each group has its own page. Check below to find all the links!
BAG LESSON ONE - Bag Blaster
A Lesson using the Potato Chip Bag
Kurzweil's first experiment is called "The Bag Blaster." His Potato Chip Science activity demonstrates the field of Rocketry and the concept of Propulsion.
Who knew you could find Thrust, Drag and Weight all in a simple Potato Chip Bag?
Better yet, did you know these three elements are also basic principles of following Christ?
Check this out:
Page 2 of "Potato Chip Science"
MATERIALS - 2 chip bags (2.5 oz), scissors, paper towel, Bendy straw, tape
METHOD - Do the experiment with the students - You might have some alcohol handy to sterilize the straw and let each one have a turn at launching the Bag Blaster. Maybe even see whose goes the furthest.
MEANING - read the meaning on Page 3 of Allen Kurzweil's book
MUNCH ON THIS - You can read the "munch on this" from the Potato Chip Book, but here's the "Munch on This" from the Bible.
Today's experiment showed us how THRUST, DRAG and WEIGHT work in science, but did you know that these three things can also be found in Christianity.
THRUST- Acts 1:8 & 2 Timothy 1:7
- What did our experiment tell us "Thrust" is? (the "oomph" or power that moves something forward)
- What gave our "rocket" Thrust? (the air in the bag)
- What do these verses tell us a Christian's "Thrust" is? (our Power is from the Holy Spirit)
- What is the Holy Spirit? If you don't know, check out John 14:16 & 26 as well as John 15:26 & 16:7 and Isaiah 11:1-3 (The Holy Spirit comes from God. He IS God. Jesus sends Him to be our counselor, someone who will tell us the right thing to do and help us not be afraid. The Spirit gives us power)
DRAG - Read Hebrews 12:1
- What did the experiment tell us "Drag" is? (Drag is resistance, something that pulls against or pushes the other way, something that slows the object down)
- What caused drag on our rocket? (The air - if we were outside, wind might)
- What kind of "drag" did we read about in Hebrews? (everything that stands in our way and sin)
- What things "stand in your way" or slows you down from using the Power God wants to give us, loving Jesus and doing all the things Jesus wants you to? (sin can include doing things just because your friends do it, not listening to parents or teachers, stealing, lying- things that slow us down can include spending too much time with our DS's or TV. When we don't read our Bible or pray it can slow us down)
WEIGHT - John 10:10a & Ephesians 6:11
- What did weight do to our rocket? (caused it to crash)
- What does John 10:10a tell us causes us to crash? (the thief)
- Who is the thief? (the devil is our enemy)
- What does this verse say the thief wants to happen to you? (he wants to destroy us)
- What does Ephesians tell us causes "weight" in our lives? (Paul says that the devil has "schemes" and that evil will keep us from following Christ and slow us down.)
Every experiment has a conclusion. Our chip experiment helped us conclude that thrust will shoot the rocket, but it needs more thrust to keep going. It has to have something to fight the drag and the weight to keep it from crashing. The same thing happens in our life. The Holy Spirit gives us thrust, but without more and more thrust, the devil, our enemy, the thief will slow us down, trip us up and cause us to crash. What can we do to get more thrust?
John 10:10b & Ephesians 6:10-12
- What was one thing that Jesus said could be our thrust? (He said He came to give life - if we trust him, we can have that life and that can be our thrust)
- What did Paul (in Ephesians) say would be our thrust? (God will give us strength if we depend on his power to make us strong. Paul said to put on God's armor - Check out Ephesians 6:10-17 to see the FULL armor if you have extra time.)
I did this in the adult class but substituted bubbles for the Bag Blaster - less fun, but still demonstrates thrust, drag and weight (the adults liked to call the weight gravity)
The Potato Chip Science Kit on Amazon
Because this book is Mr. Kurzweil's own work and he holds the copyright, you won't find any of this information in my lesson book. You will need this book (and the whole kit is pretty cool) to accompany the lessons you'll find on this, and other, pages.
More Potato Chip Science Lessons
- The Lids in The Bible Meets Potato Chip Science
How about those Potato CRISPS? They count too! These page has lessons that use the lids off of those tubes! DON'T WORRY - we'll use the tubes before we're through
- The Chips in The Bible Meets Potato Chip Science
These lessons use the CHIPS as the catalyst for great Bible discussion!
BAG LESSON TWO - Chip Ship Challenge
Another Chip Bag Experiment
Materials: Pennies, Small chip bag (you need the whole bag), Bucket of water, chip lid
Method: See page 6 (If you have extra time, try the challenge on page 7)
Meaning: See page 7
Munch on This: Matthew 14:22-33
Let's go over what happened in this story . . .
- What happened first? (Jesus sent the disciples on ahead of Him to the next town)
- What time was it when He did this? (probably late afternoon - we know for sure it was before evening came - you might liken it to dinner time)
- What did Jesus do after the disciples left? (He went up on a hill and prayed.)
- How long did He pray? (He prayed until at least evening and perhaps until 6 a.m. - the fourth watch of the night was from 3 a.m. to 6 a.m.)
- What did Jesus do after He was done praying? (He walked out to the boat where the disciples were)
- What did Peter do when he figured out it was Jesus? (He told Jesus to call him out of the boat and he walked on water too)
- How long did Peter walk on the water? (not long - he sank as soon as he looked at the winds and the waves)
Now Let's Dig a Little Deeper
- Can people usually walk on water? (NO) Why not? (we don't have a big enough "hull" - we can't displace enough water to compensate for our weight)
- What made Jesus buoyant (able to stay on top the water)? (probably the prayer he'd just been in - With God all things are possible)
- What made Peter buoyant? (looking at Jesus . . . as soon as he looked away from Jesus and looked at the storm around him, he started to sink)
- What can we do to have power like Peter? (be close to God, keep our eyes on God, don't be fooled by looking at the things around us even if they look like good things.)
- Do you think you could walk on water? (probably, but we need to make sure Jesus tells us to and we're not just trying to test God)
The Bible Meets Potato Chip Science - on Amazon
How to Purchase "The Bible Meets Potato Chip Science"
This book of 29 lessons is available on my store as an ebook as well as through Amazon as a paperback book with real pages! You can also order the real book at my store if you'd rather.
Don't forget, you'll need the Potato Chip Science Kit to have access to all of the science experiments. These experiments are object lessons to reinforce the Bible Lessons you find on this page (and the other four pages that will finish the series.
Watch for all the new lessons using "Pop Bottle Science" in addition to these cool lessons.
And never forget, God is the Creator of all things, so it's easy to use "all things" to teach a child (or an adult) about God.
BAG LESSON THREE - Compass
Another lesson from a Potato Chip Bag
Find the experiment on page 5
MATERIALS: Chip bag (just a piece - you can use last weeks), scissors, paper towel, chip lid, water, sewing needle, magnet
METHOD: Check out the book (each kid could do one of these if you want - just need a few more lids and needles)
MEANING: from Page 5
MUNCH ON THIS: Our "polarity" changes as we grow closer to Christ
- What does a compass do? (shows us which way is North - it does NOT show us the way to go - it only shows us North)
- How does this help us when we're trying to find our way? Wouldn't it be easier if a compass showed us the way to go? (if we know which way is North then we can find East, South and West - so it helps us to head in the right direction)
- Sometimes going in the right direction as a Christian is just as difficult as going the right direction when we travel. But the Bible says there is help
Read Proverbs 3:5-6
- What does it mean that God will direct our paths or make our way smooth and straight? (God will show us which way to go and make our lives a bit easier)
- Who are these promises for? (those who trust in God and acknowledge Him in all their ways)
- What does it mean to acknowledge God? (Tell people about him. Don't be ashamed of Him. Give Him credit for all His goodness)
Read Psalm 16 - Have a few read "The Message" version and a few read the NIrV
- Psalm 16 is a song that King David wrote. What are some things that you notice King David said about God?
a.) Nothing makes sense without God OR without Him we have nothing good.
b.) Our friends should be others who love God
c.) Those who trust in other gods will find trouble
d.) God gives good advice
e.) When we trust God to keep us safe he "cancels our ticket to hell" (do all of the 5-8 graders know we're born with a ticket to hell?)
f.) God wants to lead us on the path that leads to life - he wants to keep us heading in the right direction - even better than a compass
- The Message says, "I won't treat God's name like brand names." What do you think that means? (Brand names - the kids will know these as soon as you point out a few - Nintendo is one of their favorite - McD's, Wendy's, Sony, Apple are all brand names- we talk about them in our everyday conversation and we treat them like gods, but the REAL GOD's name should be treated special. The NIrV says "I won't speak their names" meaning the names of other gods.)
- What are some other gods in your life that pull you away from God like a magnet near a compass will pull the needle in the wrong direction? (you might hold your magnet near your needle and see if it will pull it in the wrong direction.) (help the kids see that video games, toys, money and even friends can be "gods" - anything we love more than the One True God is our god.)
- What are you going to do this week to make sure your compass is always pointed toward God? (pray more, read the Bible more, play less video games, watch less TV - anything is acceptable)
BAG LESSON FOUR - Electric Wave
This lesson is ready to load. So stop back soon to check it out!
BAG LESSON FIVE - Kite
Easy to do
Great for Pentecost
Bags 5 - Kite - page 10 - For Pentecost
Materials: Medium sized chip bag, paper towel, tongue depressors, marker, tape, pushpin, kite string or fishing line, double sided tape, popsicle stick (you could probably make it work without the double sided tape)
Method: see page 10
Meaning: see page 11
Munch on this: see page 11 and below
SAY: So what keeps a kite from crashing? (answer: the air moving) When is it easiest to fly a kite? (on a windy day) Did you know that Jesus talked about the wind? Let's read about it . . .
READ: John 3:5-8 (New Century Version is a very nice translation of this)
- What did Jesus say about the wind? (it blows wherever it wants to, you can hear it but you can't see it. You don't know where it's going and you don't know where it comes from)
- Have you ever seen the wind? (allow kids to answer - some will want to answer yes, but make them tell you WHEN they saw the wind - each time they do, tell them that's the EFFECTS of the wind, not really the wind - we don't see the wind, we see the effects of the wind)
- Jesus said that it's the same way for the people who have the Holy Spirit living inside of them. How do you think that works? (when the Holy Spirit lives in us, he tells us how to be good. )
READ: John 14:15-26
- What did Jesus promise to send? (The Holy Spirit or a Helper)
- What does Jesus tell us the He's sending the Spirit for? (Jesus promised to send the Spirit to be our Helper, to tell us everything we need to know and teach us the things that God wants us to know)
- Do you ever feel like you know what the right thing is to do even when you are tempted to do the wrong thing? (allow for answers) When we have a feeling we know the right thing to do, that's the Holy Spirit. Jesus said we won't be able to see the Holy Spirit, but we'll see the effects of the Holy Spirit. He also told us that the Holy Spirit would teach us, so when we know the right thing to do, that's the Holy Spirit telling us. It's important that we listen to the Holy Spirit. The more we do what the Spirit tells us, the better we'll be able to hear Him. And the more we do what He tells us to do, the more others will be able to see the effects of the Spirit. When we listen to the Spirit, we can learn to become true children of God and become the best we can be!
BAG LESSON SIX - Hydrofoil
Stop Back Sook
As soon as I get some time I will load this lesson also! Feel free to contact me if you'd like to have it a bit early!