What Are The Top Sororities?
I know what you might be thinking..."This is just going to be some girl promoting her own sorority and bashing the rest." Well, I assure you, that is not what this is about. I love sorority life and think that sororities are great organizations to be a part of, no matter which house you choose. However, there are a few tips you might want to take note of before going through sorority recruitment in order to come up with your own personal list of top sororities and find your perfect match.
First Things First
Before going through recruitment, I would strongly encourage you to take some time to think about what your reasons for joining a sorority are, and what exactly you will be looking for in your top sororities. A few things to think about include:
- Why do you want to join a sorority in the first place? Is it because your mom was in one? You hear it makes you popular? They have cute t-shirts? You want to be involved on campus?
- What do you want to get out of your sorority experience? New friends? A frat boy? Leadership opportunities? Resume boosters? Community service hours?
- How involved do you want to be? Some sororities have more event requirements than others, so think about the level of commitment you would like to make. Once a week? Every event? Would you have time for a leadership role?
How Did You Choose Your Top Sororities?
Maybe you know what you are looking for in your top sororities, but how do you make sure you choose the right one? While there is almost no way to be absolutely certain, there are a few things you can do during recruitment to help you make the best decision for you:
- Ask quality questions. A lot of times during recruitment you will be the one receiving questions, but it is always a good idea to ask questions too! This not only shows that you are interested in the girl(s) you are talking to and their sorority, but it allows you to find out more information about the house to help you narrow your own top sororities down. Some good questions to ask include: What is your philanthropy? What is your sorority known for on campus? What makes your sorority stand out from other top sororities? What were you looking for in your top sororities when you went through recruitment? How did you choose?
- As the days go on and you begin going to fewer and fewer houses, look around your rush group (that is, the group you go into houses with) and see if they seem like the kind of girls you could be friends with. Be careful with this one though, because it is not always a true sign of what the sorority is like. However, this strategy can offer some insight. Most likely, girls that continue to visit certain houses until the end of recruitment are there because it is one of their top sororities and they, along with the sorority girls rushing them, could see themselves there.
- If you are interested in a sorority and like all that they have to offer, tell them so! If they respond in a loving and accepting way, that's a great sign that they can see you as their sister too.
Be True to Yourself
It can be a very stressful moment when you find yourself having to decide which is ultimately going to be THE sorority for you. There really isn't a way to be certain you will make the one and only right decision, because there usually isn't just one! What really matters is what sorority is best for YOU. Stick to your guns and pursue a group who shares similar values, and you will be sure to make the best choice!