TORNADO STORM SHELTER KIT Survival Checklist - What Food goes in?
1. Who is responsible for gathering up the baby, a couple bottles, and/or pets?
2. If the emergency kits are not stored in your shelter area, who will gather up the emergency kits for the family?
3. Who is responsible for turning on the weather radio?
4. Who will communicate all of this info to babysitters and grandparents so they are also prepared in your absence?
5. Who will perform drills every year to be fresh and recheck your perishables. As your children age, perhaps duties will change.
6. Who has the CELL PHONE!!!!
Where is Your Tornado Storm Shelter located? What Food Do Are You Prepared to Eat?
Our most important treasures are the lives of our precious family. Does your family know where to shelter themselves from a tornado? EVERY family member should be ready to go to a designated area and have specific chores to complete. What do your family members need to do to participate in survival?
If at HOME: Is the shelter built outside the house in the ground or is it located inside a large closet or a small centered room of the house? If you are inside, the safest place is the lowest floor of the house away from all windows. Closets under the stairwell or an interior hallway are also very good locations. Is the designated shelter area big enough for everyone to fit into including the survival kits? If you are located in a mobile home or other motor vehicle; GET OUT of it quickly. Your odds of living are very low if it is tumbled. If you are outside; keep low to the ground and go to the nearest most sturdy structure for immediate protection. Always cover your head with your arms if you have nothing else to use. If at the OFFICE: move quickly to the inner most enclosed space without windows (mostly to avoid glass projectiles) and immediately proceed to any designated storm shelter area. The fire escape is a good place as it can also get you to lower levels.
Tornado Alley Statistics
Have you ever seen a tornado?
Handcrank Emergency Weather Radio for Tornado Alerts
The is important to have when at home, office or when traveling. It will pick up the local weather station. It is handcranked so new batteries are needed. It is small enough to take with you to have on hand. If you live in areas where storms appear within minutes and become very dangerous very quickly, this radio is a must have. Emergency Weather Radio
We had extreme weather last night, The weather channel was reporting the conditions in our immediate area and at that moment the power went out. if it wasn't for the handcrank weather radio we would not have known where the tornado was headed. Amazon has the best price that I can find. That is where we purchased our Eton. I will be giving them as gifts this year. Buy yours today!!!! It is well worth having.
Give this as gift to someone you love: A must have Emergency Weather Communications Devices
- Freeze Dried Food - Nitro-Pak.com and other Survival Options
Hurricane Katrina - A modern survival situation Can you rely on adequate support from your government agencies within 3 days (72 hours) or even a week of a major disaster? Recent history with Hurricane...
- Emergency Survival Food Storage
Why build an emergency food stockpile? One look at the evening news and it's clear why you should prepare an emergency food stockpile: Earthquakes. Floods. Tornadoes and hurricanes. Terrorist attacks,...
CHECKLISTS for TORNADO SURVIVAL KIT SUPPLIES
UPDATED: FEB 2010 - Begin with: (2) large plastic containers with locking lids. You will be organizing two separate kits or more for larger families.
Survival Kit #1 Food and Water: Supplies are needed for your entire family for (7) days. Get more containers if needed. Perishables should be refreshed at least every 6 months. In the event of an extreme tornado your survival will depend on your survival kit preparations. Collect the following and store your kit in your shelter area.
- Water – (1) gallon container of water per person and animal (buy sealed gallons of water that will safely keep for longer periods. If using tap water, it must be replaced every 6 – 8 weeks.
- Power bars, cereal bars, granola trail mix, dried fruit, jerky
- Several bags of hard candies
- Canned fruit, canned tuna
- Canned juices, Gatorade, Ensure
- Manual can opener
- Peanut butter
- Infant chewable vitamins
- Baby foods
- Baby wipes/disinfectant wipes for hand washing
- Pet food and pet chews, a bowl for pet water
- Plastic silverware and dishes
- (2) Plastic trash bags: One for trash; other to keep things dry.
- Paper towels and toilet paper
- Aspirin; baby aspirin
- Important medications
Important documents: Make an accordion folder and put copies of these documents in Kit #2. Copies of: driver’s license, birth certificates, passports, home owners & car insurance policies and names of all agents, marriage license, important legal papers, important pet info (rabies certificates), list of important phone numbers, copies of credit cards, prescription medicals, precious family pictures and anything else you think you may want to remember in the event of a total loss.
Kit #2: Emergency Essentials
- Weather radio (hand crank is most reliable)
- Battery powered radio; extra batteries
- Duct tape
- (2) large plastic trash bags
- First Aid Kit w/scissors
- Two flashlights with extra batteries
- Cell PhoneKindle
- (5) Emergency Candles/ matches
- Electric lantern
- Handheld toy for kids for long period of time in seclusion.
- Thermal blankets
- Pet leases/pet meds
- Deck of cards to wait out the storm
- Accordion file of important documents
- Extra socks for everyone
- Plastic ponchos with hoods (walmart .88 cents)
- Toothbrushes and toothpaste
- (4) light sticks
- Safety Whistle
- (4) dust masks
- 50 water purification tablets
- Multi-function swiss army knife
- disposable litter box for kitty
- Work Gloves and vinyl gloves
- 50 ft Nylon Cord
- ziplock bags for waste products
- doggie sanitation bags for doggie
- Tube tent
- Gas shutoff wrench for gas turn off if needed.
Some additional essentials to put in the shelter area where possible:
A change of clothes, shoes, extra blankets, pillow, extra keys to cars, bicycle helmet (where them), coats for kids. If living in very rural areas, it may be good to have a small propane stove, extra propane bottles, and generator in case it takes a while for help to arrive. You may have to camp outside after the storm is past before help arrives.
You are now physically prepared in the event of a tornado alert. Congratulations!!!
No matter the events of the storm, look to the promised rainbow. It is best part.
Save your Life: Get Prepared
Share this Article with your family and friends, It just may save a Life
If you find this article helpful, please consider sharing this link via email, on twitter, facebook and other social medias. Thank you for visiting.
Shelter Resources and Supplies
- Emergency Preparedness: Survival Kits and Emergency Supplies
We offer the highest quality emergency preparedness kits and supplies to prepare you for earthquakes, hurricanes, terrorism or any other disaster you may need to survive.
- Tornado Shelters For Sale - Tornado Shelters Texas - McKinney, Texas
We sell and install tornado storm shelters in North Texas
Other Related Links:
- TORNADOES, TWISTERS, AND FUNNEL CLOUDS...OH MY
No matter how it is said, it all means one thing to meKatie bar the door!!!! It was a gloomy rainy day in McKinney, Texas. One of the very few rainy days experienced since moving from Maryland in the...
- A Tornado Shelter May Save Your Life
This article about tornadoes reveals some tornado facts and how easily a tornado shelter or safe room can be installed in your home.
- Five Best Camping and Wilderness Survival Kit that Can Save Your Life
Camping is one popular way to get away from city ways and get back to the basics of life. The idea of it charms a lot of people with visions of fresh air, being surrounded by nature, and relaxing in tents,...
- 72 hour Survival Kit - What Do You Need In One?
From the phrase 72 hour survival kit' it is quite easily assumable that this kit is going to contain the essential things that you will need for Survival for 72 hours. These kits are also nice to have in...
- Know Ways To Prepare for a Tornado
The very word 'Tornado' strikes fear into the heart of even the bravest souls. A tornado is an act of God, or a natural event or whatever else you want to call it--all of them scary. Personally I have been...
How to choose Emergency and Disaster Recovery Survival Kits - 4.51 min
Other methods for fast travel in the event of Disaster
- Survival Kits Checklist
Recent tragic events have gone a long way to highlighting the need for survival kits. The need for a survival kit might have seemed like the ravings of paranoia a few years back but I hope this has changed....
- How to be prepared for a disaster
The earthquake and subsequent problems that are beleaguering the people of Japan right now has got me to thinking. How to be prepared for a disaster? Since I have a large family, some that live with me,...
Join Hub Pages Community
• ~~~~~~~~~~~~ •
Like to write?
Like to learn?
Sign up today!
• ~~~~~~~~~~~~ •