President Zachary Taylor (12th President of the United States of America)
Basic Facts about Zachary Taylor
If you are looking for just the bare bones, for what you can find in the first paragraph of any reference book about Zachary Taylor, here they are.
Old Rough and Ready
- Twelfth president (after James A. Polk and before Millard Fillmore)
- A member of the Whig Party
- Lived from November 24, 1784 to July 9, 1850
- Served from 1849 -1850
- Died in office
- Married to Margaret Mackall Smith
- Considered a hero of the Mexican War (and was a Brigadier General)
A Dollar Worth of ZT
Non-Basic Facts about Zachary Taylor
- He never nominated a Supreme Court Justice.
- His election was the first in which he ever voted.
- Theories abound, but no one is 100% certain how he died.
- Zachary Taylor had no middle name.
Twelve Cents Worth of ZT
Zachary Taylor's Cabinet - 1849-1850
- Vice President - Millard Fillmore
- Secretary of State - John M. Clayton
- Secretary of Treasury - William M. Meredith
- Secretary of War - George W. Crawford
- Attorney General - Reverdy Johnson
- Postmaster General - Jacob Collamer
- Secretary of the Navy - William B. Preston
- Secretary of the Interior - Thomas Ewing, Sr.
Where to Find More Information about President Taylor
For those of you who like to go deeper, here is where to look.
- Zachary Taylor According to the White House
This is what is on the current administration's website about Zachary Taylor.
- Zachary Taylor According to Wikipedia
Because you have to know what Wikipedia says.
- Zachary Taylor at PBS
Concise list of facts with brief autobiography.
- Zachary Taylor's Inaugural Address
Elected by the American people to the highest office known to our laws, I appear here to take the oath prescribed by the Constitution, and, in compliance with a time-honored custom, to address those who are now assembled. . . .
- Things Zachary Taylor Actually Said (i.e. Zachary Taylor Quotes)
A fellow named Howie put together a bunch of great quotes and tells you were he got them from. This is a great resource.
Books for Kids about Zachary Taylor
for ages 4-8
The idea that I should become President seems to me too visionary to require a serious answer. It has never entered my head, nor is it likely to enter the head of any other person.
Places Named For Zachary Taylor
- Camp Zachary Taylor
This was a World War Training camp that was built in Louisville Ky in 1917. The construction of the facility was one of the single most important events that took place in Louisville in the 20th century, nearly increasing the population of Louisville
- Fort Zachary Taylor Historic State Park
A park in Florida.
- Zachary Taylor National Cemetery
in Louisville, Jefferson County, Kentucky.
- The Zachary Taylor Parkway
The Louisiana Legislature in 1992 initially named this project the Zachary Taylor Highway but a year later the lawmakers changed it to the Zachary Taylor Parkway. The name honors the only American President to be elected from Louisiana.
Zachary Taylor's Birthplace - Barboursville, Virginia
Don't Know Much About Zachary Taylor?
How much did you know about Zachary Taylor before you came to this page?
Thems fightin' words!
Do you think that Zachary Taylor was one of the greatest presidents of all time?