10 Best Breakup Songs To Flip Your Ex The Bird
Gay, straight, or bi, every color, race, and origin there is one language we all speak and understand...it's L-O-V-E. Those of us who have experienced love have probably also experienced the inevitable heartbreak following some of those relationships. Let's just say, its definitely not up there on the list of things we all want to experience very often. If you have been lucky enough to find your 'true love' or 'soul mate' in this wide world, well, all I have to say about that is....give it a few months and then check back with me once the shininess has worn off.
Seriously though, if you have found that one person you can belch, fart, snore, and do anything else disgusting in front of and they stick around, it might be a good idea to hang onto them. Hopefully they feel as comfortable around you as you do with them and I wish you both rainbows, butterflies, and happily ever afters. This article however, is not about those kind of relationships. It's about the other kind. Door slamming, people screaming, and cars speeding away.
With heartbreak there are several stages to be explored, but at the top of that list will always be anger. Whether you are the victim or the cause I guarantee at some point you will experience that type of anger. Instead of calling him/her 20 times in a row leaving late night drunken voicemails, there is a better way of dealing with the heartache. Music. Listed below are 10 of the Best Songs to listen to during and after a breakup. Most of these songs will not only lift your spirits but also send out a big 'screw you' to your ex, which let's be honest, when a relationship goes south we want that other person to feel what we are feeling at the time. There's a lot of variety in the song choices, so if you can relate to that horrible, crushed, fresh breakup feeling then give some of these a listen. I guarantee you will feel a little better....at least for the 3-4 minute duration of each song.
- "I Will Survive" - Gloria Gaynor. I doubt there is a person anywhere who has not heard this song. There is a reason for that, it's very very easy to relate to. Gloria Gaynor knew how to stick it to whoever broke her heart. While listening to this classic you will feel like you are on top of the world and in control of your heart and life once again. "I Will Survive" shines a positive light on any breakup and by the end of it you really do feel like you might be able to make it through the heartache after all.
- "I Really Don't Like You" - Plain White T's. The song title says it all. If you haven't heard this song before you really should try it out. Aside from being a tad on the comical side it's also blatantly honest. The chorus starts out with: 'Hate is a strong word, but I really really really don't like you'. As simple as it sounds there are several exes I could think of right now who I feel exactly that way about.
- "Goodbye To You" - Scandal/Patty Smyth. Children of the 80's Unite! This album actually dropped the year I was born but somehow through fate ended up on my IPod and one of the best breakup songs out there. It's a catchy one so be careful when listening to this one because you will be listening to it for the rest of the day in your head whether you want to or not.
- "You'll Think of Me" - Keith Urban. This is another very popular song in its own right. Originally country but had such success with broken hearts across America that it ended up crossing over to the pop charts as well. While this song is slower than any others on this list it definitely qualifies as a great breakup song. It is a little bittersweet but basically Keith is still finding a way to flip his ex the bird saying he will be long gone and happy by the time his ex realizes what a horrible mistake she made. I think we can all relate to wanting to shove it in our exes faces exactly what they missed out on.
- "Song For the Dumped" - Ben Folds Five. Song For the Dumped takes every thought physically, literally, and emotionally and wraps it up in one big hilarious 'I hate my Ex' bow. Unwrap it during every single break up of your life. Not only will you get a good laugh you may even get some ideas of what you want to say to your ex in reality.
- "The Wreckoning" - Boomkat. Many of you may not have even heard of this song or group. While most of the songs listed here are not gender biased, this particular badass break up song is definitely for a female listening audience. Any female who has been metaphorically crapped on by lying, cheating, or just an all around bad guy at some point, then this is the song for you. Listen once, you will see what I mean, and even if you are 95 pounds and could be taken out by a strong wind, after listening to this song you will feel like an NFL linebacker.
- "Bye Bye Bye" - NSync. While I have never been a real fan of this group I find this song a great way to say goodbye to an ex. Maybe it's the title...? Even though we all consider NSync to be comical now in 2011, nobody was laughing 10 years ago when they were doing the ridiculous dance with the arm movement. You know exactly what I'm talking about too, don't lie. Regardless, 'Bye Bye Bye' is straight to the point and has a good beat. As far as bubble gum basic pop goes this is a great song when a relationship ends.
- "Pray For You" - Jaron and the Long Road to Love. Even though the band has a freakishly long name their song 'Pray For You' hits the nail on the head. The entire song is one long version of bluntness in which he says what he wishes would happen to his ex. They are not nice things. This is a great song for anybody experiencing a break up because everything listed in this song is something anybody would think . 99% of us would never actually say these things outloud which is what makes the song so hilarious and so charming. This one is a mood lifter for sure.
- "The Break Up Song" - America Hi Fi. Original title huh? This song is addicting break up or not. However, if you are listening to it during a break up your sadness will dissolve. If you haven't been lucky enough yet to hear this song I have a link at the bottom of the page. In a certain sense this song will trivialize a break up and you may begin to see it in a different light. Perfect song for starting the 'moving on' process and getting to the bigger picture.
- "Get Up Offa That Thing" - James Brown. This song doesn't even need much of an introduction. It has really nothing to do with breakups or heartache. This song just has a way of making you feel fantastic. You may feel the need to tap a toe or two, or you may even get really crazy and tap your entire foot. The reaction is inevitable. Sometimes in the midst of heartbreak you just need to numb it for a little while. This song and songs like this can accomplish that for you.
Music can have the power to alter your feelings, lift your mood, and even make heartbreak bearable sometimes. Everyone knows the sense of loss and sadness that comes during a breakup but pick one, two, or all ten of these songs to start listening to and just for a little while maybe the pain won't be so overwhelming. With time you will be able to start picking up the pieces and get back to your old self. Remember, when all else fails you, James Brown will not.
'The Breakup Song' - American Hi-Fi
- American Hi-Fi - The Break Up Song - YouTube
If you haven't heard this song yet definitely give it a listen. I promise you'll dig it even if you haven't ever been through a messy breakup! Music video by American Hi-Fi performing The Break Up Song. (C) 2002 The Island Def Jam Music Group