10 Facts You Probably Didn't Know About The Simpsons
10 Facts You Probably Didn’t Know About The Simpsons
The Simpsons are arguably the most well-known fictional family in existence today, but how well do you really know The Simpsons brand? Welcome to 10 facts that you probably didn’t know about The Simpsons:
- More episodes of The Simpsons have aired on May 19th than any other day with a total of 6 airings. Dates that have aired the second most with 5 are February 11th, February 18th, March 17th, April 29th, May 7th, May 13th, May 18th, November 6th, and December 17th.
- In contrast, there are 128 total days on which an episode of The Simpsons has never aired. Some notable dates are February 29th, April 8th (being the only such date in April), and December 25th.
- Very specific design details were purposeful on the part of the show’s creator Matt Groening. Such examples are the color of the characters and the silhouettes of each character. Groening wanted the yellow color of the characters to catch the eyes of channel flippers and each character’s silhouette to be very recognizable and unique for the purpose of easy character identification.
- 38 different directors have helped make The Simpsons what it is today and nobody has directed more episodes of The Simpsons than Mark Kirkland. Kirkland’s first episode to air was “Dancin’ Homer” in which Homer became a minor league baseball mascot. This episode aired at the tail end of 1990 and Kirkland hasn’t looked back. He has directed more than 80 episodes, which accounts for roughly 13% of all episodes to date. This may not sound like much, but this is nearly 20 more episodes than Steven Dean Moore who has directed the second most.
- According to IMDB user ratings, the absolute worst episode of The Simpsons to date is “Lisa Goes Gaga” in which Lisa finds herself in a depressed state and is cheered up by the one and only Lady Gaga. The best episode is “Homer’s Enemy.” In this episode, Frank Grimes, a new and hard-working employee at the Springfield Nuclear Plant, is driven mad by the success of one Homer Simpson despite his truly idiotic foibles and lack of discipline. In addition, using the same IMDB user ratings, seasons 5 and 7 are among the best seasons while seasons 26 and 28 are among the worst.
- It was revealed during the commentary in the season 8 DVD set that while currently one of the most popular episodes is “Homer’s Enemy,” it used to be one of the most controversial episodes amongst the earlier generation, as well as one of the least popular in the series. Also during the commentary, creator Matt Groening, Writer Josh Weinstein, Actor Hank Azaria, and director Jim Reardon discussed the possibility that the generation gap is due to two factors: 1) the different levels of tolerance for what appears on television; and 2) the idea that by the time “Homer’s Enemy” was aired, expectations for the show were rising rapidly.
- It’s well known that the true state in which Springfield, the beloved hometown of the Simpson family, is set is never officially disclosed. However, many fans of The Simpsons may not have ever known that the town is based off of a town called Springfield in Oregon. The town of roughly 60,000 is close to a hundred miles south of creator Matt Groening’s hometown of Portland! DO NOT BE FOOLED, THOUGH! This is not where the Simpsons family is said to live in. It is simply the place that the town of Springfield was based on.
- Dan Castellaneta has voiced more than 250 different characters in The Simpsons during the show’s 28 seasons. His most notable characters are obviously Homer, Grandpa, and Krusty, but his voice is so flexible that he goes from those voices to voices such as the squeaky-voiced teen, Sideshow Mel, Arnie Pie, Joe Quimby, Barney Gumble, and Groundskeeper Willie. If you are a true fan of The Simpsons, I would definitely suggest looking up some of the other characters he’s done. I guarantee you’ll be pleasantly surprised!
- Yeardley Smith, the voice of Lisa Simpson, barely has to change her voice in order to play her character! While Dan Castellaneta and a lot of other voice actors on the market rely on the different characters their voices can create, Yeardley Smith was naturally gifted with the voice of Lisa Simpson!
- It is impossible to own a copy of The Simpsons seasons 18 and 19. In April of 2015, the news slipped into the media via producer and writer Al Jean’s Twitter conversations. As the new millennium rolled in, the producers and Matt Groening decided to distribute DVDs of The Simpsons and were planning to go all the way. However, by 2012 the market for DVDs crashed hard with increasingly popular platforms such as iTunes and Amazon Video. Seasons 18 and 19 were never released on DVD and for whatever reason never made it onto any media download platforms. Things got back up to speed in season 20 as it was released on digital platforms, as well as DVD to pay tribute to 20 years of The Simpsons. Ever since then, the only people who have any kind of rights or ownership of Seasons 18 and 19 are the good people at FX who have become the managers of The Simpsons official website and the main distributors of every episode of The Simpsons ever made.
Well, that was 10 facts that you probably didn’t know about The Simpsons. If you think I missed any important facts, please don’t hesitate to put them in the comments below.
Now, I personally am the biggest fan of The Simpsons that I've ever met. To cement this legacy I purchased every single season of The Simpsons...well, except for seasons 18 and 19, of course. I can say without any doubt that one of my personal favorites is season 8. Not only does it contain so many classic episodes, it also is by far one of the funniest. Not only this, but for the true Simpsons fan the season 8 DVD set is chopped full of amazing and hilarious commentary by some of the biggest stars of the show. Some of these people include Matt Groening (Creator/Producer), Mark Kirkland (Director), Yeardley Smith (Voice: Lisa Simpson), Dan Castellaneta (Voice: Homer, Grandpa, Krusty), Hank Azaria (Voice: Moe, Clancy Wiggum, Apu Nahasapeemapetilon), and many more extremely talented creators. I encourage any fan to purchase this season on DVD to get all of these benefits and more. There is a link below if you are interested!