10 Movies on the IMDB Top 250 list that don't belong
I like any type of list and I like the IMDB list because it's fun and produces debate. However, the main problem with any list that's determined by mass vote is that the people who do the voting usually do so on impulse. The list is very weighted toward more recent movies and, as such, many of the classics have fallen off. And that's okay, but many of the ratings are so questionable one wonders what people were thinking. There's a lot of voting on whim and some picks stand out like a sore thumb.
Just a quick note: some of these movies have probably changed position on IMDB's Top 250 since that list is always changing. Some may even be gone. So at least know that at one time, the movies listed held the position on the list listed here.
33. Leon: The Professional - I'm a Luc Besson fan and a Jean Reno fan, but this film is overranked. It's not better than one of Besson's other films - "La Femme Nikita" - and it's mostly because of that film's success that Besson made this one. Here's a few films it's ahead of: The Third Man, Singing in the Rain, Full Metal Jacket. C'mon.
40. American Beauty - I liked it okay when it was released, but there's a certain pretension that follows this film around that's reasonably justified. From the garbage bag floating on the wind thing to the overblown realizations of Kevin Spacey's character and his middle-aged angst or whatever you want to call it, the whole thing probably thinks it's more important than it really is. It's ahead of such films as The Unforgiven and The Great Escape.
58. The Departed - I liked this film. A lot. But to say it's one of the best 250 films of all-time? It's not even necessarily better than the film it's based upon, "Infernal Affairs". Yes, at least it won an Academy Award, but it's actually ahead of a far superior Scorsese film, "Raging Bull". That's just not right. More time needs to go by before I'd even think about putting this on the list.
98. Gran Torino - This film edges out "Unforgiven", one of the greatest westerns of all-time, by one slot. You must be kidding. "Gran Torino" isn't even one of Eastwood's greatest films, much less one of the top 250 of all-time. And don't get me wrong, I'm not saying I didn't like "Gran Torino", I did, but it's a pretty simplistic story - crusty old guy learns not to be a racist after befriending Asians. Pretty standard stuff. And here is a list of Eastwood films that are better than "Gran Torino": "Million Dollar Baby", "Unforgiven", "Mystic River", "A Perfect World". And there are probably others. Just sayin'.
111. The King's Speech - Okay, I'll admit. I haven't seen it. Still, it's way too early to say this is in the top 250 of all-time. That's just silly. Anyway, most of what I read about the film called it typical Oscar bait. Kind of like "The English Patient", for example. Is that in the top 250? Answer: no.
180. V for Vendetta - Seriously?
193. Star Trek (2009) - Again, seriously?
217. Ed Wood - I like Tim Burton and all, but "Ed Wood" was kind of a pet project - interesting, but not particularly engaging as a story. That being said, there are a tremendous number of wonderful performances: Johnny Depp, Martin Landau, Bill Murray, Jeffrey Jones - it's a long list. But is it a movie I'd watch over and over. Not really. It's more like one of those films that comes out that's cute and interesting, but doesn't really carry on. That being said, I think it's interesting that it actually made the list.
234. Pirates of the Caribbean - I actually think it's interesting that it's so far down the list, not that I think it should be on the list at all. And look, I liked the movie. It's a fun movie. But a great movie? I don't know about that.
248. Shutter Island - Every Martin Scorsese film that's not on the list is better than this film. The fact that it's #248 though means that it's probably dropped off the list between the time I saw it and the time I actually published this article. Still, like many films on the IMDB list, it's up there due to short memoritis. I think I could name 250 films off the top of my head that are better than this. And I like everybody in it.
- The Internet Movie Database (IMDb)
IMDb: The biggest, best, most award-winning movie site on the planet.
- 5 Extremely Lame Movie Posters from 2011 movies
I'm going to cut the poster designers a little slack here because they did another teaser poster that was everything that a poster for this film needs to be: raunchy, risque, yet tasteful. In that poster,...