- Entertainment and Media»
100 Greatest Urban Contemporary Gospel Slow Jams Pt. 3
The Gospel Janet Jackson ?
76. Cherish * NewSong
* One of the sweetest Pop songs ever made. Beautiful lyrics, beautiful melodies ... These are the same guys who recorded the song that inspired ROB LOWE and KIMBERLY PAISLEY's holiday classic, The Christmas Shoes.
77. Changing My Whole Life * Angie Winans
* Basically a reworking of the ROBERTA FLACK's Killing Me Softly, but it works.
78. Should've Listened * Out Of Eden
* You may remember this group from the Mother's Day episode on Moesha's first season. Go forward a few years, this smooth groove is about choosing the wrong guy even though everyone you love and trust sees that he's a bad apple.
79. Heart Of Mine * Commissioned
* The popular band that has influenced modern day soulsters like BRIAN MCKNIGHT and BOYS II MEN, sound like CHICAGO here, using their high voiced member, KARL REID on a rare lead.
80. Trust In The Lord * Special Gift
* This group was led by the absolutely wonderful KAYLA PARKER (featured on MICHELLE WILLIAMS first CD). Known as the female version of TAKE 6, this song is from their one and only release.
81. You Care For Me * Michelle Williams
* My underrated angel ... With help from Issac and Lowell of MEN OF STANDARD, Tenitria Michelle Williams sings a snappy ballad that will lift even the hardest heart in a time of depression.
82. Be With You * Ben Tankard featuring Angie & Debbie Winans
83. My Everything * Yolanda Adams
* From what I believe to be the best CD of her catalog, Yolanda totally embraces her love for Jazz with an outing produced by Smooth Jazz pianist, BEN TANKARD.
84. Winter * Men Of Standard
85. Tumblin' * Tonex
* This young man infuriated a lot of people when he decided that he was a homosexual. He has since changed his name and is making music that reflects his current mindset ... But before all of that happened, he released great music that reminded you of PRINCE, MICHAEL and JANET, but with life changing lyrics. This is one of those songs that I will forever cherish.
86. Help Him Stand * Anointed
87. I'll Wait * Fred Hammond
88. I Belong To You * Rance Allen Project
89. Stay With Me * BeBe & CeCe
90. Love Has No Color * The Winans/ Michael McDonald
* In the late 80s and 90s, what really made Contemporary Gospel exciting was those rare occasions when an artist from the Mainstream industry chose to collaborate with your favorite artist. Not only did you get a great song, but there was the hope that joining together of this magnitude with lift your artist into the stratosphere. Unfortunately, such unions were rarely marketed with any bit of creativity. In fact, most people never even heard these songs unless they purchased the album that it was featured on. Though in the case of this song, there was a music video and radio airplay, just not as much as one would want.
91. Confused * Out Of Eden
92. There You Are * The Katinas
93. Pourin Rain * Heather & Kirsten
94. Love Isn't Love * Commissioned
95. Love Will Outlast * Kindred
96. Know You * Greg O'Quinn
97. Even In The Rain * Maurette Brown Clark
98. Taxi * Tonex
99. I Shall Wear A Crown * Deleon Richards
100. Only What You Do For Christ Will Last * Commissioned
TruSoulDJ is a self proclaimed expert on all things trivial to the Mainstream. He is an avid classic comic book reader, non popular music lover and tv-show-on-dvd binge watcher who shops the clearance racks near and far to find the best deals. He would like to think he knows everything important within the realm of Pop culture. But in actuality, he only knows about 99.9 percent of what he thinks he knows.