- Entertainment and Media
Who Is Peter Dinklage?
With piercing blue eyes, regal confidence, and a deep voice characterized by a biting yet philosophical tongue, Peter Dinklage is fast becoming a household name. Despite the fact that Dinklage has participated in over 53 films and TV roles, the popular HBO series :Game of Thrones," was the first to clearly allow Dinklage to exhibit himself as a superior acting force. However, due to his appreciation for privacy, little is known about the man that has made his mark playing Tyrion Lannister. Since I’m certain the world will be hearing more from Peter Dinklage in the future, it might be wise to learn a bit about the great acting talent in a small frame.
1. Peter Dinklage has won both an Emmy and Golden globe for his role as Tyrion Lannister.
2. An animal rights activist, Peter Dinklage has campaigned for WalkForFarmAnimals.org.
3. Dinklage has a wife, Erica Schmidt, married in 2005 and birthed a daughter in 2011.
4. Since the age of 16, Peter has been a vegetarian.
5. At his Golden Globe acceptance speech, he paid tribute to Martin Henderson, a British dwarf that was severely injured when drunken cretons tossed him into the air for sport. Dinklage asked the audience to Google him and within minutes Henderson’s name was trending by the millions.
6. He was the first person George R.R. Martin considered for the role of Tyrion Lannister.
7. A graduate in 1991, he holds a degree in drama from Bennington College.
8. Rolling Stone Magazine had this to say about Dinklage’s character, “Tyrion is the story's most fascinating anti-hero, all rudely stamped menace and wit. He quips like a mix of Richard III and Morrissey, while lurking around King's Landing with all his impin'-ain't-easy gangsta lean.”
9. Dinklage was born on June 11,1969, in Morristown, New Jersey.
10. Dinklage was the voice of Captain Gutt in Ice Age 4: Continental Drift.
11. Standing at 4.5 feet tall, Dinklage was born with achondroplasia, a genetic disorder and the most common source of dwarfism.
12. He stood at the podium with a mace at his 2012 Bennington College Commencement speech.
13. Peter has said that he participates only in films where dwarfism isn’t a defining characteristic of the role.
14. In his first film, 1995’s "Living in Oblivion," Dinklage portrayed a dwarf fed up with his role as a stereotypical dwarf in another character’s dream.
15. Although Dinklage said he probably used the words, “No” too much, he doesn’t regret denying roles that made his height its focus. Nor does he fault other little people that assumed such roles.
16. Dinklage has said one of his goals is to be the lead guy that gets the girl.
17. On February 20, 2013, Dark Horse comics will release a figurine of Dinklage as his Tyrion Lannister character from “Game of Thrones” Dark Water episode.