30 Facts About Michael Jackson
Amazing Michael Jackson Facts
In this article we shall take a look at the top 30 Michael Jackson facts. Some of these facts about Michael Jackson will blow your mind. If you are ready to get your mind blown away by interesting Michael Jackson facts, then read on.
Below are the top 30 things you didn’t know about the King of Pop:
- Michael Jackson’s full name was Michael Joseph Jackson, and he was born on August 29, 1958.
- Michael had 9 siblings. He was the eighth born of his parents’ 10 children.
- Michael started working as a professional entertainer and musician at the young age of 5. He first performed live on stage covering the song “Climb Every Mountain” before going on to perform with his other brothers in the group called The Jackson 5.
- Michael officially became a member of The Jackson 5 in 1964, but his solo career came 7 years later in 1971.
- Michael was a great animal lover. He had dozens of animals at his Neverland Ranch. He practically had a miniature zoo on the compound of his mansion. He kept all types of animals there, which he considered his pets. He had a boa constrictor which he called Muscles. He had alligators, giraffes, flamingos, chimpanzees, among several other animals.
- Michael’s most famous pet was the chimpanzee named Bubbles.
- Michael was a Jehovah’s Witness from 1965 to 1987.
- Michael Jackson’s album Thriller, which was released in late 1983, is currently the best selling album of all time. Thriller has so far sold over 65 million copies worldwide.
- Michael presently holds as many as 10 Guinness World Records.
- Michael, till today, is the most awarded musician of all time. His awards are so many that one can write an entire article on them.
- Michael Jackson is so far the highest-earning deceased musician. Even in his death, the King of Pop earns more than the majority of living artists all over the world today.
- Michael had a problem with the making of the video for the song Thriller because of its supernatural theme which is not compatible with the doctrines and teachings of Jehovah’s Witness, which he was a member of around the time of the making of the Thriller video. Jehovah’s Witnesses do not like to associate themselves with occultism or any supernatural thing. Thriller is a fourteen-minute music video that was directed by John Landis in 1983.
- The song Billie Jean was written after one of Michael’s fans accused him of having an affair with her and fathering her child. Billie Jean was based on that allegation.
- Michael had a thing for Mexican foods. As a matter of fact, he totally loved eating Mexican food.
- In 1984, Michael Jackson got severely burned while shooting an advert for the soft drink Pepsi. While Jackson was shooting the advert for Pepsi, his hair mistakenly caught fire and that caused him to sustain severe burns on his scalp. The event remained hidden from the public until several years later. According to reports, the Pepsi commercial fire accident left Michael with migraine headaches that plagued him until his death.
- Jackson suffered from a disease known as vitiligo. Vitiligo is a disease that causes patches of a person’s skin to start lightening. This is partly the reason why Michael transformed from a black man to a white man as he grew older.
- Michael loved superheroes. His favorite superheroes were Spider Man, Professor X and Morph.
- Michael Jackson was a staunch vegetarian. This was something that not too many people knew about the King of Pop.
- Michael Jackson had three children: Michael Joseph Jackson, Jr., Paris Michael Katherine Jackson, and Prince Michael Jackson II.
- Michael Jackson was Nicole Richie’s godfather, whereas Macaulay Culkin is godfather to all Michael’s three children
- Michael was married twice and divorced twice. His first marriage was to Elvis Presley’s daughter Lisa Marie Presley. The marriage lasted from 1994 to 1996. He later got married to Deborah Jeanne Rowe. The marriage lasted from 1996 to 1999.
- Michael Jackson’s Thriller music video is said to be the most successful music video ever.
- Prior to the massive success of Thriller and its music video, Michael was not featured much on MTV. Many alleged that the reason MTV did not show a lot of Michael’s music videos was because he was an African American, an allegation MTV strongly denied of course! But things changed with the massive success of Thriller.
- Not only was Michael known as the King of Pop, but he was also known as the King of Music Videos. According to music pundits all over the world, Michael was able to turn his music videos into work of arts. His music videos showcased a lot of interesting things from complex story lines to memorable dance routines.
- In the music video for the song Bad, Michael shocked his fans by using sexual imagery for the first time. It was in this video that Michael started grabbing his crotch and torso. In an interview Michael had with Oprah Winfrey, the latter asked Michael why he grabbed his crotch in the video. Michael responded by telling Oprah that it was not something that he deliberately decided to do but that the music compelled him to do it. Ever since then, that gesture became a trademark of Michael. Many considered it quite offensive.
- The music video for Michael’s song Scream is said to be the most expensive music video ever made. The Guinness World Records has listed the video for Scream as the world’s most expensive video ever made. The music video cost an astonishing amount of $7 million to make.
- The video for the song Ghosts is presently the longest music video ever made. The video which is over 38 minutes long presently holds the Guinness World Records for being the longest music video ever made.
- Michael was influenced by the following musicians: James Brown, Diana Ross, Little Richard, Gene Kelly, Sammy Davis Jr., The Isley Brothers, Jackie Wilson, the Bee Gees and David Ruffin.
- Michael Jackson died on June 25, 2009 at the age of 50. He died while lying in his bed. A year after his death, Michael reportedly posthumously sold as many as 35 million albums worldwide. This saw him become the artist with highest-selling albums of 2009.
- The breaking news of Michael Jackson’s death caused several major websites all over the world to slow down and crash as a result of these websites being overloaded by visitors who had heard of the death of Michael and were trying to find out whether it was true or not. For example the websites of TMZ and the Los Angeles Times crashed moments after Michael Jackson’s death was announced. Popular social networking site Twitter experienced a brief crash as millions of people flocked on to the site at the same time to either spread news about Michael’s death or to read about it. Google search engine was bombarded with millions of searches relating to Michael Jackson that Google thought that their search engine was under a virus attack and had to block all searches with the words “Michael Jackson” for about half an hour. Wikipedia also crashed for a short period as a result of several hundreds of thousands of people visiting the site within minutes of Michael’s death.