From the roadside tiny flowers to majestic Golden lily flowers have always been appreciated for their beauty ,written and sung about.This article of mine is a tribute to these wonderful flowers.
A Cherokee Blessing
"May the warm winds of Heaven blow softly on your home,
And the Great Spirit bless all who enter there.
May your mocassins make happy tracks in many snows
And may the rainbow always touch your shoulder.
"Flowers are words which even a babe may understand."
-Arthur Cleveland coxe
The choice of the Cherokee rose as the flower of the state came at the urging of women's club.It was adopted from 1916 as the Georgia state flower.
- Cherokee Trail of Tears
In 1838 the Cherokee were stripped of their rights and forced to move against their will on 'The Trail of Tears' by the governments of Georgia and United States.
- The Cherokee rose or Rosa laevigata is a waxy white flower with a large golden center surrounded by vivid green leaves.
- It is also known as the Camellia rose,Snow white rose ,Rosier blanc de Naïve.
- These roses have been in use for about 35 million years and grow naturally throughout the North America and they are native to Southern china,Taiwan and Vietnam.
- The name Cherokee means 'Chinese climbing rose with fragrant white blooms.'
- The rose has long vine like canes that are excessively thorny.Its canes can reach up to 15 feet in length with reddish orange thorns.
- The petals and rose hips(fruits) are edible.The rose hips can be up to 2 inches long and 1 inch wide.
- Rose hips are nutritional treasure chest and special winter treat for birds and wild animals.(as they are rich source in vitamin c)
- It is the official flower of Georgia states from 1916 and it is believed the name is derived from the Cherokee Indians who widely distributed the plant in United States.A stamp with Cherokee rose was released to honor the flower and legend behind it.
- The flowers has antibacterial,anti chloesterolemic ,astrigent,diuretic properties.
- They are used for hair cover.
- There is a layer of hairs around the seeds just below the fruit.These hairs can cause irritation to the animals, so the animals like deer avoid these fruits.
- According to Cherokee legend the rose sprang up from the tears of mothers unable to save their children while walking the trail of tears in 1838.The white represents this tears,the yellow stamens stand for "gold taken from Cherokee land ans the seven leaves stand for seven Cherokee clans.