- Entertainment and Media»
Actor and Musician Chris Mulkey at the House of Blues
A West Hollywood Landmark
The House of Blues offers a Summertime Blues show every Monday. I was happy to read on the House of Blues marquee that actor and musician Chris Mulkey was performing at Crossroads on the Voodoo stage.
Mulkey is quite the singer and entertainer. He always captures everyone’s attention with his terrific show.
During his break, he walked up to each table to greet and thank the guests for coming in on a Monday night.
When he arrived at our table, I asked him a few questions before he went back onstage. He shared with us that when he was between the ages of 6 to 9 years old, he wanted to be a cowboy actor. “I loved watching John Wayne on the screen,” said Mulkey. Born in Wisconsin, his family followed the Mississippi River before settling in Minnesota.
Since his mom was from New Orleans, Mulkey learned to play the Blues and would play at bars as a teen with different groups.
While attending the University of Minnesota, he took an acting class and fell in love. He knew he wanted to pursue acting.
Mulkey acted in a repertorie theater in New York and then back in Minnesota. While acting he wrote and played music whenever he had the opportunity. He has sold over 40 songs to television and motion pictures scores.
He loves both songwriting and story telling. It was a real milestone when he was the opening act in Nashville for a Music Festival. He also gets a kick when he sees his name on the House of Blues marquee.
You will recognize him from his roles in television classics: “Twin Peaks,” “24,” “Friday Night Lights.”
He also enjoyed working on the Academy Award nominated film Captain Phillips in 2013.
At the House of Blues, his signature outfit is a porkpie hat, red shirt and black pants. Chris is married to actress and writer Karen Landry.
The Summertime Blues show is every Monday night now through the end of the Summer. Chris Mulkey will be there this Monday, June 30th, then will be back on July 21. A House of Blues band will perform on July 7 and 14.
Name in Lights at The House of Blues
Actors Chris Mulkey and Dennis Madden
House of Blues in West Hollywood
House of Blues
Will you come see Chris Mulkey at the Voodoo Lounge on Monday night?
5 Fun House of Blues Facts
1. The first House of Blues was built in Cambridge, Massachusetts in 1992 inside a historic colonial house.
2. The first House of Blues opened its doors on Thanksgiving Day. They staff fed meals to the homeless inside the venue before opening later to the public. They continue this tradition every Thanksgiving.
3. The original investors in the House of Blues include Dan Aykroyd, James Belushi, Aerosmith, Harvard University, River Phoenix and Paul Schaffer.
4. The International House of Blues allows 50,000 students and their teachers to visit the Music Halls inside House of Blues to experience the Blues SchoolHouse program. The program incorporates folk art and music. On a guided tour, the group explores the history of Blues music.
5. Every other Sunday morning, the House of Blues on Sunset Blvd. opens its doors to the public for a Gospel Brunch starting at noon. For tickets, call (323)848-5197 or www.houseofblues.com/losangeles
Chris Mulkey Performing with our Talented Server Sue Vee
Monday Night Menu
While watching Chris Mulkey performing, we dined on Crawfish, Spinach and Artichoke dip with crunchy pita chips. We also had a Shrimp salad and Red beans with dirty rice. For dessert we enjoyed a warm peach cobbler with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.