America is obsessed w/weight you can never be to skinny. It's an illness and it's contagious.
NO win situation
Her weight should be the last thing we focus on
Pictured to the right is beautiful Jessica Simpson who after having 2 children has worked hard to get down to this weight, but the sad thing is now she is being criticized for being "to skinny". When she was a bit heavier people made fun of her and had an expectation that she should be thin because she is in the limelight. The point of this article is to show you all the great things Jessica Simpson has accomplished. This is an attempt to teach people to worry about their own size and celebrate the important triumphs of others. Nothing is more attractive than being a good person and speaking positivity into the universe.
What the statistics say...
- Because of the pressure weight puts on people, it is actually now considered a mental illness to have anorexia or bulimia. Which means that eating disorders have resulted in the highest mortality rate of any mental illness.
- Anorexia is the third most reported chronic illness among teenagers.
- 95% of those who have eating disorders are between the ages of 12 and 26, which also happens to be the demographic most influenced and obsessed with the media and Hollywood/celebrities.
- 95% of all dieters will regain their weight within 5 years, and a large majority of those people will exceed their previous weight.
- The body type shown in advertising as the ideal weight and size is only possessed naturally by 5% of American females.
- 42% of 1st-3rd grade girls want to be thinner according to a Collins report.
- 81% of 10 year old children are afraid of being fat according to a Mellins study.
If these numbers don't turn your stomach with worry for the youth of America then you should definitely do some more research because being uneducated is what puts your own children at risk.
Obsession with celebrity weight
Americans' seem to be obsessed these days with two things, criticizing people who are to large and criticizing people who are to thin. Unfortunately sometimes these people are one in the same. I can not imagine the stress and anxiety being thrust into the public spotlight for such sensitive and personal issues like weight. The amount of attention given to looking like Barbie makes life for people like Simpson that much harder I would imagine.
Unfortunately the weight debate and ridicule does not end with celebrities, our young people are now being intimidated into drastic fad diets and extreme regimes that are anything but healthy. The average size of an American woman in 2013 was a size 16. That is about 10 sizes larger than what is considered to be acceptable and attractive size.
What is really important about Jessica Simpson
33 year old Jessica Simpson has been in my opinion very underrated. Rarely do you ever hear about the amazing business woman she is, you might be shocked to find out that the same girl who thought tuna was actually chicken from the sea is one of the most wealthiest entrepreneurs in the world. Here is a list of some of what she has been up to, while the rest of the world was obsessing over her jean size.
- Simpson has sold 30 million records worldwide.
- She has starred in 3 movies, along with a reality show that ran for 2 years during her marriage to Nick Lachey.
- She performed at the Super Bowl XXXVIII halftime show.
- Her perfume line Fancy & clothing line is worth USD $1 billion.
- Simpson is Operation Smile's International Youth Ambassador
- Simpson donated a new Chrysler minivan to the Elim orphanage in Nuevo Laredo
- Simpson won a Chrysler Crossfire sports car at the 2006 MTV Video Music Awards, but exchanged the $50,000 luxury car for a minivan so she could help the orphanage.
- Her personal net worth is 100 million dollars.
I think that all of these things listed above are very obvious reasons to discuss her weight as a last priority.
Weigh in on this poll
Do you think America's obsession with weight is unfair?
Stars who have lashed out because of public scrutiny of their weight
Tyra Banks- Told critics to "Kiss my fat ass!” during a 2007 episode of her talk show Tyra.
- Tyra weighs 140 lbs and is 5ft 10 inches tall. THAT IS NOT FAT!!!
Lady Gaga- After being made fun of my the media for a weight gain in 2013, she posted this message to her fans: “Bulimia and anorexia since I was 15".
- Lady Gaga weighs 112 lbs and is 5ft 1inch tall. SHE IS NOT FAT!!
Khloe Kardashian- (my personal Kardashian favorite) continues to be the target of cyber bullies calling her fat.
- Khloe weights 148 lbs and is 5'9 SHE IS NOT FAT!
Kelly Osbourne- 28-year-old Kelly Osbourne says she still gets bullied about her weight.
- 5ft 2 inches and 122 lbs SHE IS NOT FAT!
It's time we stop judging others and focus on something more important like HAPPINESS!
Happiness is free, it comes from within and can be taught by parents who are caring and loving. There is nothing sexy about illness or making yourself ill to be viewed as special.
Melissa McCarthy is the most talented and hilarious woman to come out of Hollywood in a very long time. I hope that in the future we coven talent above looks. You have to admit, it feels good to be comfortable in your own skin, and to eat and those are all natural things humans are suppose to do. Promote being healthy but please teach your children, what they see in Hollywood are impossible expectations, made possible by extreme measures and plastic surgery. Let the desperate pay those prices, while those of us content with being normal can leave the perfection to someone else!
This is beauty and talent
© 2014 Karen Ranoni