Anna Karenina- Some Thoughts on the Upcoming Feature Film
Anna Karenina- The Classic Novel
- I read Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy six years ago and loved it. The scandal, the heartbreak, and the period piece drama just do something for me. A lot of the characters are downright devious, but you somehow love them all the same. Alexei is not the up for the world's greatest husband award, but he's not awful so you can't entirely hate him enough to completely justify Anna's affair. However, true love is always intoxicating so you support the affair on some dark level all the same because Count Vronsky is so dashing and sexy.
Anna Karenina- the TV mini-series
- Earlier this year I watched the TV mini-series of Anna Karenina filmed in 2000. It was pretty good, but it was long, and I never completely fell in love with Helen McCrory as Anna. Keven McKidd is handsome but not drop dead gorgeous like you imagine Count Vronsky to be. Call me vain but few things disappoints me more about movies about books I love than a male character who is not as attractive as I imagine him.
Anna Karenina- the 2012 Feature Film
Anna Karenina- Keira Knightly
- Imagine my surprise when my friend tells me that there is going to be a new version of Anna Karenina with none other than Keira Knightly playing Anna. I like Keira Knightly. She doesn't have to fake the British accent. She's proven time and time again that she can pull off those 19th centuries ball gowns. There was Pride and Prejudice, Pirates of the Caribbean, and the Duchess to name a few. Disagree me with me if you want, but she's a pretty good candidate for Anna.
Count Vronsky- Aaron Johnson
- My next question was of course who plays Count Vrosnky. Aaron Johnson was selected to play the dashing male mistress (mastress?). The only other movie I have seen him in was Kick Ass so he doesn't seem like the most likely Count Vronsky, but I have since perused his IMDB page and I think he seems promising. We will see.
Alexei Karenin- Jude Law
- Jude Law is set to play Alexei which is fine with me. I have always loved his dreamy British accent. The Holiday will forever be one of my favorite movies. It might be a little harder to dislike Alexei played by Jude Law, but I will do my best.
The Rest of the Cast- good actresses and actors!!
- The rest of the cast also seems promising. Anna's brother Stiva is none other than Matthew Macfadyen who played the dreamy Mr. Darcy in Pride and Prejudice. Will it be weird for Keira to be brothers with her true love from a former movie? Sadly we will have to dislike him, as well, because of his infidelity with the governess.
- His wife Dolly is played by Kelly Macdonald who was Ravena Ravenclaw in Harry Potter and the voice of Merida in the recent film Brave.
- Alicia Vikander plays Kitty, Dolly's younger sister. I've never heard of her, but I haven't heard of a lot of people so that is no reason to doubt her talent.
- Her suitor Levin is played by Domhnall Gleeson, none other than Bill Weasley. I think he'll be great for the part, but that could just be because I love the Harry Potter movies.
- Princess Myagkaya, one of Anna's supporters in her affair, is played by Downton Abby favorite Michelle Dockery.
Anna Karenina- Official Trailer
Will it Work?
- I am cautiously optimistic that this will be a great film. Of course there is the dilemma of turning an 864 page book into a two hour long movie. My one concern is the time that will be spent on Kitty and Levin's story. Their story brings a type of innocence to the plot that is lacking everywhere else.
- From the previews it is obvious that the costumes and sets will not disappoint. I don't often watch movies while they are in the theater, but I have every intention of going to opening weekend with a friend who loves the period scandal as much as me. Only four and half months to wait!!