- Entertainment and Media»
- Movies & Movie Reviews
Anti-Halloween Movie Marathon
For the first couple days in November, I have what I call The Anti-Halloween Marathon where I watch some spoofs of horrors. Are they good? Well....yes and no.
- A Haunted House - The film itself really isn't that bad. It actually has a decent story to it and holds its own with an unique brand of comedy.
- A Haunted House 2 - What a piece of deplorable crap. Movies can't get any worse than this. When your main character spends half the film having sex with the Annabelle doll, you know you have no artistic talent at all. The first film was good but this one was beyond horrible. It was torture just watching it.
- Scary Movie - The film does have its funny moments, but mostly it's just crude humor aimed at teens. Anna Faris is really the best part of the movie, bringing her absentminded style of humor to an otherwise dull film.
- Scary Movie 2 - A huge improvement on the last film, the sequel brings back Anna Faris and her fun humor along with Tim Curry, who is a master of blending in no matter what film he's working on. It still has its crude moments but it doesn't rely on them, instead actually making jokes that everyone can appreciate.
- Scary Movie 3 - Anna Faris returns once again, but this time they have moved away from spoofing serial killers and have begun spoofing the supernatural-esque films. It's a good and much-needed change-up.
- Scary Movie 4 - It seems that each of these films have gotten better than the last, bringing in well-known celebrities to cameo and do silly skits for the film. Dr. Phil and Shaq and Charlie Sheen are only in the film a few minutes, but their scenes are the best in the film.
- Scary Movie 5 - What happened? The series was going strong and suddenly we're hit with a load of crap such as this? Charlie Sheen and Lindsay Lohan had the best scene in the film, and even that was nothing to brag about.
- Shaun of the Dead - Simon Pegg and NIck Frost make such a great comedy team. They have an unique style of humor that really only a specific type of person can appreciate. I'm glad I'm the type of person that can appreciate it because otherwise I'd be missing out on a true gem.
- Stan Helsing - I have mixed feelings about this one. Steve Howey and Leslie Nielsen are hilarious but the rest of the cast is only tolerable. As far as spoofs go, it's not that good, but it's better than Scary Movie 5.
- A Haunted House - 2.5 out of 4
- A Haunted House 2 - 0 out of 4
- Scary Movie - 2 out of 4
- Scary Movie 2 - 3 out of 4
- Scary Movie 3 - 3.5 out of 4
- Scary Movie 4 - 2.5 out of 4
- Scary Movie 5 - 1 out of 4
- Shaun of the Dead - 3.5 out of 4
- Stan Helsing - 1.5 out of 4
Maybe comedy isn't my strong suit, but sometimes a film is just plain bad. It's hard to rate spoofs, however, because they're meant to be fun and not taken seriously. If there's a horror spoof film you enjoyed, please let me know in the comments below!
© 2016 Alec Zander