Best Dressed List at the Academy Awards 2012
The Oscars celebrate achievements in film. It's ever actor's dream to get the coveted statue. But the Academy Awards are not just about the excellence of the pictures shown the previous year. Hollywood's biggest night is not about the winners, it's about what the stars were wearing on the red carpet. The Oscars are the world's largest fashion show. Fashion becomes the plot while the people who received the golden boy become the subplot. Designers and stylists work round the clock to make the celebrities look like a million dollars. In last night's show, many actresses played safe by wearing black and white. Most of them walked on the red carpet as if they were attending their Senior prom. These are the actors whom I think deserve to get an Oscar for Best Dressed.
1. Stacy Kiebler- Barbie comes to life as George Clooney's girlfriend donned a golden silk strapless Marchesa gown. The statuesque beauty looked every inch a prom queen with an arm candy by her side. The dress had drama and and was well structured.
2. Gwyneth Paltrow- She is not a style icon for nothing. She got the fashion critics talking when she walked on the red carpet wearing a long white gown with a cape by Tom Ford. She has been absent from the best dressed list for a couple of years. But last night, she redeemed herself by looking very regal in white.
3. Penelope Cruz- The Spanish beauty does it again. She is known for her elegant style on the red carpet. Her sky blue satin chiffon ball gown dress by Armani Prive proved that she was last night's belle of the ball.
4. Natalie Portman- Christian Dior's muse didn't dissapoint the critics when she wore a red polka-dotted ball gown dress. The dress may look simple, but her dainty look complemented her elegant attire.
5. Viola Davis- She may have lost the Oscar to Meryl Streep, but she looked like a winner with her satin green Vera Wang gown. She's got the confidence and the body to boot. Her dress exposed her toned arms and a part of her cleavage. With that kind of body, you would think twice about casting her as a maid.
6. Emma Stone- This rising star was fiery in a red Giambatistta Valli dress. Although the gown was similar to what Nicole Kidman wore to the Oscars a few years back, Stone looked radiant with a bow on her right shoulder. It was a bold fashion statement that was done in good taste.
7. Rooney Mara- Her look was a complete antithesis of her costume in the movie that made her a star, The Girl With A Dragon Tattoo. She wore a white chiffon Givenchy creation. She could be mistaken for Audrey Hepburn with her black locks tied up and her bangs in place.
Many actors looked great on the red carpet last night, but I give these actresses a two thumbs up for standing out . They were head turners throughout the night without going overboard.