- Entertainment and Media
Best Heavy Metal Bands of All Time
Where Are They From?
view quiz statistics
Bang Your Head
Hundreds of heavy metal bands have been making music for years but, the ones on the list below stand out for many different reasons. One thing that they all have in common is, the fact that they make great music and they each had great hit songs. Feel free to leave your opinion in the comment box at the bottom of the page.
1. Metallica: One of the pioneers of thrash metal with fast and hard drums and guitars and a sound that was captivating. They have released seventeen total albums and have toured all over the world. There is nothing that this band hasn't done. They have had some of the hardest metal songs you will ever here not to mention they cracked the Billboard Top 200 on a constant basis. My favorite hit by Ulrich and company is: One. This was a very popular band during the 80's.
2. Motley Crue: Vince Neil and Tommy Lee headed this awesome metal band. They eventually went radio and mainstream but, in the beginning they were hard core with Too Fast For Love and Theater of Pain. They had love songs, party songs but, most of all they had adrenaline pumping metal songs. My favorite song by Niki Sixx and the Motley Crue is: Don't Go Away Mad and Looks That Kill. Vince Neil has a smooth voice and it's easy to follow his lyrics. Don't Go Away Mad is what I remember from Motley Crue. I would hit the repeat button on the CD player. I loved that song so much. This was one of those songs that I would sing very loud to.
3. Kiss: Paul Stanley and Gene Simmons wrote and sang some classic sexual heavy metal songs and their onstage painted faces and Simmons long tongue made this band mainstream fast. They rocked hard and heavy and amped you up right off the bat. My favorite song by Kiss is: Heaven's on Fire. The band had wicked live shows with smoke, fire and all kinds of special effects for the fans to gaze at. Don't forget the makeup that would take hours to apply before each and every concert. Their music has withstood the test of time and is still popular all these years later.
4. Pantera: This band had trash metal solo performances that could rock the roof off a domed stadium. Although cloaked in mystery and controversy, this band thrived by ripping off hard lyrics with even harder bass and acoustic sounds.My favorite song by Pantera is: Domination. One thing about Pantera is that they can rock a concert. I saw them live at the Oak Mountain Amphatheatre in Hoover, Alabama. This was a great band to see in concert.
5. Black Sabbath: Ozzy Osbourne led up this heavy metal band that featured barbaric stage antics to say the least. Also, their music was usually very dark and had a feeling of something very morbid when really listened to. The drums were always fast and the guitars even faster. My favorite song by the Sabbath would have to be: Iron Man. They had excellent guitar especially when accompanied by Randy Rhodes. Ozzy is known for biting the head off of a bat.
6. Iron Maiden: In 1975, England produced a heavy metal band that could shock and awe you with their instruments. They had a very raw style when they began but, it did evolve by using synthesized bass and computer sounds to expand to the rest of the listening audience. At any rate, the music should be rated "M" for mature. My favorite song by Dickinson and co. is: Be Quick or Be Dead.
7. Slayer: Known for loud screaming vocals and double and triple bass drums, Slayer started in California in 1981. They had controversy surrounding all their music especially from religious groups. They performed live all over the country and they actually had some slower ballads that were awesome and radio played. My favorite song by Slayer is: War Ensemble.
8. Megadeth: In 1983, California bred Megadeth with Dave Mustaine from the band Metallica. They are heavy metal's king of solos. Some of their lyrics are offensive to some but, the music legends are made of. The music beats are hard core and the words are often deep. My favorite song by Megadeth is: Tornado of Souls.
9. AC/DC: Amazingly when the lead singer, Bon Scott died, his replacement sounded almost just like him. This group had hard core guitar riffs that could hang with Metallica but, at times had slower rock songs as well. I saw them perform in 1988, in Birmingham, Alabama in the Heat Seeker Tour. My favorite song by AC DC is: Ride On.
10. Korn:Korn broke loose in 1992 and although they were cloaked in controversy they were successful to the mainstream. They have hard hitting beats and their songs usually deal with real life issues such as drugs and money. My favorite song by Korn is: Freak on a Leash.
* Please share your favorite heavy metal group with me by leaving your comments in the box located at the bottom of this page.
Birthplace of Metallica
Who is The Best?
Which is Your Favorite Heavy Metal Rockers?
Kiss on CD
Heavy Metal Ranking
- R and B's Top Artists of All Time
This article documents the top R and B Artists in music history. R. Kelly, Mr. big and Anthony Hamilton are featured in this hub. Pictures, polls, maps, you tube videos and commentary are listed in this hub. Sam Cooke was known as the King of Soul bu
- Rock Music of The 1970's
This article follows the best bands and rock singers during the 70's. Pink Floyd, The Eagles, Led ZEPLIN and John Lennon are featured in this nostalgic rock and roll hub. Polls, maps, pictures, you tube videos, a quiz and commentary are also located
- Rock Music of The 1980's
This article is about the top rock bands of the 1980's. Motley Crüe, Kiss, Guns n Roses and Poison are documented in this nostalgic music hub. Pictures, you tube videos, maps, polls and commentary are listed here as well.
- Rock Music of The 1990's
This article documents the top rock groups of the 1990's. Pearl Jam, Motley Crüe, Metallica and Guns n Roses are featured in this rock music hub. Pictures, polls, maps, you tube videos and commentary are also listed in this blog.
- Country Music's Best Male Artists
This article describes the top male country music singers ever including Alan Jackson, Garth Brooks, Keith Urban and Clint Black. Pictures, maps, polls, you tube videos and commentary are listed in this hub as well.
Metallica: Enter Sandman
The full length video called One by Metallica was an amazing war video that still rings true nearly 30 years later. The video features many war clips as well as a dying soldier communicating using morse code.
© 2012 Buster Johnson