- Entertainment and Media»
- Movies & Movie Reviews»
- World Cinema
Birth Of Indian Cinema : Lights, Camera And Action In Desi Style!
It is undoubtedly true that movies came into picture with the primary agenda being the factor of entertainment. Unlike the modern day filmmakers, the age old veterans were not blessed with surplus technology and manpower. This drawback did not affect them much for the main motive behind making a movie kept them going strong. Yes, films came into existence with the prime motive of entertaining audience. It is quite easy to choose the like or dislike path for any movie depending on one’s tastes and preferences. However, not many people are aware of the mammoth technicalities and other complex procedures that go into making any movie.
A three hour long movie might have had an year-long story build up followed by several months of shooting and tremendous effort by a dedicated technical team to merge audio, video and dialogues. After all the perfectionism, does a movie hit the screen for audience to witness.
Times are indeed changing and it is surprising how the cinema industry has evolved from just being an entertainment platform to a pathway which projects the views and ideologies of human beings. Feature films and documentaries which revolve around social issues have made their own special mark amidst the minds of people.
Indian Cinema; Then, Now and Henceforth!
Dhundiraj Govind Phalke, lovingly addressed as Dadasaheb Phalke is acclaimed to be the father of Indian cinema. This producer-director-screenplay writer entered the industry with his debut film in 1913 , ‘Raja Harishchandra’ which holds the esteem of being India’s first full length feature film. He had a long career span of 19 years and contributed about 95 movies and 26 short films. The government of India instituted an award in his name which is considered to be the most prestigious and coveted award given to film personalities for their lifetime contribution to cinema.
Satyajit ray one of the finest filmmakers is also considered as one of the strongest pillars of Indian Cinema with many international awards and recognition's in his pocket. It is a sad reality that most of the audience witnessing modern day Indian cinema aren’t aware of the rich history that went into laying the foundation for all the progress and development that we see today. The fact that this reality is still a hazy truth amidst today’s youth is quite saddening.
The most prominent face of Indian cinema is undoubtedly Bollywood, which got the sobriquet from the words Tollywood( Bengali film industry) and Hollywood( American film industry). This portal has raised a lot of eyebrows on the global platform. This lucrative industry employs over several thousands of people and generates a lot of income. Primary reason behind this success is the size of the audience that it deals with, which constitutes almost the entire nation and a lot of foreign fan following as well.
Apart from Bollywood there are other industries as well each getting their own linguistic audience to support and watch the movies. After Bollywood the reigns of the second in command shifts to Kollywood industry which makes Tamil movies. So and so forth there is a movie industry for every distinct language which is popular among the masses.
The whole concept of cinema has evolved now and these days we find a lot of special effects and other elements which make the whole experience of viewing films very special. Things which seemed impossible in the yesteryears have now been accomplished and needless to say by the look of how things are progressing the future audience will get an amazing dose of entertainment in the years to come!
What Movies Generally Comprise of?
Just like music, cinema also has lot of genres and styles. Each movie maker has his own perspective towards projecting his ideas and communicating with the audience.
- Romance is one of the oldest genres which was followed right from the times when Shakespeare used to write plays. This is a very common approach to movies and one can find thousands of movies based on this concept in Indian cinema.
- Action is something that all the youngsters especially guys look up to and love. These are the movies which involve intense fight sequels and fantastic fast movie storyline. The origin to action movies however has struck Indian cinema from the west but nowadays films made in India have consistently casted their mark.
- They say laughter is the best medicine for any ailment. Comedy is the most favourite genre for all the age groups and why not for there can’t be any soul who wouldn’t want to laugh uncontrollably!
- In India, there is another popular genre which is nothing but Masala. As exciting as this sounds these movies are fun to watch! One can sit back relax and enjoy the larger than life happenings that happen on screen.
- Realism is the genre which is now adopted by modern day filmmakers. Movies based on this genre include true stories, inspired stories and biographies of famous personalities shot in a crisp manner.
Why watch Cinema?
Right from time immemorial, humans have always wished for a platform to express and entertain. From poets to musicians, the history has witnessed several modes of entertainment for people. This practice has given birth to a lot of artists who are skilled in various talents like music, dance and acting. A cinema serves to be a package of all the combined talents of individuals put together. Doesn’t this sound too exciting? Why would somebody miss a chance to see a showcase of all the good talent put together in celluloid for a few magical hours ?
Another main reason why movies are so popular amongst people is the fact that not everybody has an amazing fantasy life. Yes, most of us are caught with the daily chores of life where there is very less scope for any excitement. When we watch a film, we connect with the characters that play the roles. In the process of which, we travel across the screens and live our fantasy life and at the end of the movie walk out refreshed! Movies are also a source of latest fashion and trends and that’s one main reason why people watch movies so that they can update their fashion statement. Right from new hairstyles to new clothing designs one can see a lot of new things on screen.
The Hall Of Fame Of Indian Cinema!
The movie industry has given a rich variety of films for the audience to appreciate and digest over the period of years. Some of the most famous movies of all times would be
- Sholay: A complete package of comedy, action and friendship sentiment which gave the Big B his name and fame.
- Dilwale Dulhania le Jayenge: Bollywood’s most favourite romantic film featuring Shahrukh Khan
- Kahani: A movie dealing with women prominence and with an excellent story-line.
- Mughal-E-Azam: Age old classic of Hindi Cinema which deals with a classic love story
- Anand: A beautiful movie which deals with the special bond between a patient who is on the verge of dying and his doctor. This movie also features Big B, Amitabh Bachchan in the lead role.
- Masoom: A Naseeruddin Shah classic, this movie has intense acting and amazing storyline to back its success
- Gol Maal: This movie is also known as the laugh riot of Bollywood which bring jitters to anybody engrossed in it.
- Lagaan: This movie had so much brilliance that it made to the final round nominations of Oscar awards.
- Damini: A tale of a lawyer and a rape victim, the story revolves around the injustice society offers for helpless people.