Black and White Television Classics
Old Time Classics
view quiz statistics
Must See Black and White Shows
There are plenty of great shows and sitcoms that were released in black and white but, the following on the list below stand out for several different reasons.
1. The Twilight Zone: This is not only my favorite black and white show but, one of my top shows of any era. This show was a science fiction and horror show that featured many plot twists and turns. Usually, the person who enters the Twilight Zone, finds out that you reap what you sow. My favorite episode is entitled, Pig Faces. The show actually came out again in the 1980s although, it was very short lived.
2. I Love Lucy: Lucille Ball was a comic genius and she was a clown in this show. Her antics were hilarious slap stick comedy at it's best. My favorite episode is when Lucy works in the chocolate factory. Ricky Ricardo was also a fantastic actor in this sitcom. Each and every show featured hi-jinx from start to finish. The country stopped and watched Lucy when she was on because she was a true entertainer.
3. Leave It To Beaver: The show is the first to be written from the kids point of view. Beaver and his older brother Wally has all kinds of adventures in school, home and all throughout the neighborhood. I admit the show was a little corny at times, as it gets but, funny nonetheless for the time. It had sweet, fake fairy tale endings but, like I said, I think it is well worth the watch.
4. The Andy Griffith Show: Andy Griffith plays as a Sheriff in a small North Carolina town and his deputy, Barney Fife is a complete clown, which makes the show funny. This show ran for 8 years and had many memorable characters. Characters like, Aunt Bee, Opie and Gomer Pile. The show usually ended on a moral high ground with a point to be made that was usually good hearted.
5. The Honeymooners: Jackie Gleason's Honeymooners only had 39 episodes and lasted only one season but The Jackie Gleason show made sure the show raged on. This was the first sitcom to show the reality of marriage in tough times. The show centered around Ralph Crampton and his neighbor and buddy, Norton.
6. Bewitched: This show was about a witch who marries an ordinary man and she tries to make it without magic when she can. Her mother who is a witch also, likes to interfere with family affairs with comical spells. Samantha twinkles her nose to perform her form of magic which more often than not leads to trouble.
7. Gilligan's Island: In this show Gilligan, Skipper and the rest wreck a boat on a cruise and crash on an island near Hawaii. The show focuses on attempts to escape the island and the many differences between the stranded passengers. The show lasted 3 seasons but, actually had a movie, cartoon and comic based on the show as well.
8. Munsters: Although the show is about a family of monsters (Witch, Frankenstein and Dracula) it features everyday situations of a working class family. My favorite episode is when the Uncle has to win a race to win back Herman Munsters car. The car used in the race was a coffin on wheels with an engine, hilarious. This show was funny and at times ultra silly but, for its time it was well worth the watch.
9. The Addams Family: This show was based on cartoons from the New Yorker and it lasted for 64 episodes with a movie and video games based on the original show. The show is about rich, creepy monsters who live in an old creepy mansion. The best part of this show to me was "Thing", which was a moving hand. There was never a dull moment in The Addams Family.
10. The Dick Van Dyke Show: The show aired for 5 seasons and won an incredible 15 Emmy Awards. The show documents the working and home life of Dick Van Dyke. One liners are featured in this show, which is more or less a family oriented sitcom. Dick Van Dyke was all the rage back in the day.
I Love Lucy
Which Is The Best?
Which is Your Favorite Black and White Television Show?
I Love Lucy
Black and White TV Shows
- Prison Break Season 2: The Ultimate Review
This hub focuses on the hit show Prison Break. This is a review of the second season of the program. Scoffield, Burrows and Tea Bag are feature in this hub along with newcomers: Agent Mahone and of course Gretchen. Pictures, polls, maps, you tube cli
- Prison Break Season 1: The Ultimate Review
This article is about season one of the famed show Prison Break. It details prison life, and how to escape when watching this show. Just when you think you have figured out what is going to happen next, then there's an unexpected twist or turn. You t
- Evolution of The Television
This article documents the rise of the t.v. From black and white to cold and from big screen to HD Plasma. Pictures, maps, video clips, polls and commentary are featured in this blog as well. The television set used to have a rabbit ear antenna to he
- Best Sitcoms of All Time
This article is about the top television sitcoms ever made. The Jeffersons, Seinfeld, All in the Family and Two and a Half men are all featured in this movie hub. Pictures, maps, polls, you tube videos and commentary are also listed in this blog.
- Best TV Game Shows of All Time
This article documents the top Game Shows in Television history. The Price is Right, Jeopardy, Family Feud and Who Wants To Be a Millionaire are featured in this blog. Pictures, polls, maps, You Tube videos and commentary are listed here as well.
Lucy, Lucy, Lucy
Lucille Ball made the craziest faces, the greatest expressions, and did the wildest falls and other outrageous antics which made her a true star. She was famous for I Love Lucy, The Lucille Ball Show and for being a celebrity. She was always appearing on TV shows and on stage in some form or another. Lucy is a true American television icon that we were lucky to have had. She was a very down to earth person. She was also very genuine person and that, of course, made her even more popular.
Not to mention Ricky Racardo! He was a handsome man and Lucille gave him such a hard time. Even the smallest of things would just really make her have to think really hard. He would try to help her understand at times, but, it took a lot of effort and there were times, he didn't have the patience either.
Twilight Zone Intro
© 2012 Buster Johnson