Guide to Copyrighting Your Own Music
The Starving Musician's Safeguard
How would a financially challeged songwriter/author protect his/her rights to individual works? I have several friends that have independently produced musical projects and have recommended the following method to insure that their original compositions are protected and to their credit.
Snail Mail Method
- The cost is $40 per song.
- Send individual checks with each song.
- Send it certified mail with a request for signature and return receipt so when it comes back you are legal ( if you don't, you won't be able to know when it is done.)
It takes six months to a year to get back the information. This is the safest way to do this.
On Line Method
Go to this website: www.worldwideocr.com
- You must have the song recorded and upload an MP3 and the words with chords.
- You can pay for several songs at once and it is very cheap, but only temporary. ( 1 -5 years, depending on how much you want to spend.)
Another relevant website: