Cher - Random Fun Facts
Tribute to Cher...
Cher is a gift that keeps on giving. Even though she's in her 60th decade of life, not much slows her down. Cher has packed plenty of living into her life. With each decade she continues to reinvent herself.
Her fans never tire of her entertainment, how could we? Cher is always full of surprises. Follow her on Twitter and you'll find out for yourself.
Whether it's with her music, movies or interviews via TV or print, we always learn something we didn't already know about the goddess of pop.
She has one name. Cher. When her name is heard most everyone on this planet knows who she is. She has left her mark in this world. She is adored and respected by many.
Rock on Cher...
Cher - The Beat Goes On...
Some Facts about Cher ... and Sonny
- Born at 7:25 am (PST) in El Centro, CA
- Birth date: May 20, 1946 (Taurus)
- Birth name: Cherilyn Sarkisian ... Later became Cherilyn Sarkisian LaPierre Bono
- Legally changed her name to Cher. Just Cher.
- Her mom was a fan of Lana Turner and named Cher after Lana's daughter Cheryl
- Dropped out of school at age 16.
- Was involved in a fender bender with Warren Beatty at age 16. He swooned her. She was disappointed, but learned from the experience.
- At age 17 she met Sonny in a coffee shop. Sonny was 28. It was love at first sight.
- They performed as Caesar & Cleo at small night clubs in 1964. Cher was nervous about singing and Sonny couldn't sing, but together they were magical.
- Their first two films were Good Times & Chastity. Both films flopped at the box office.
- The Sonny & Cher Comedy Hour was a success with Cher poking fun at Sonny.
- Cher realized that Sonny was a bit of a control freak. Their divorce was final 1974.
- Sonny & Cher charted six top 10 hits between 1965 and 1972.
- Chastity now Chaz was born in 1969.
- Sandra Wood was the most famous Cher impersonator (see link below). She's now retired.
Cher - The Classic Beauty
More random facts about Cher!
- "I Got You Babe" was their first #1 hit.
- Married Greg Allman three days after her divorce was final from Sonny. They were married from 1975-1977. Had one son Elijah Blue Allman in 1976.
- Was diagnosed at age 30 with Dyslexia.
- Most famous celebrity for reinventing her persona. Her life has had more ups and downs than a roller coaster.
- American recording artist, TV personality, actress, director, record producer, philanthropist
- Twitter handle is @cher (just Cher) and has over 665,000 followers that she communicates with often! Cher is one of my favorite celeb's to follow. Many of my random facts came from her tweets. That might sound stalkerish, but it's not. It's just my curious nature as a writer.
- Her Facebook fan page is named Cher. Just Cher. She has close to 200,000 fans!
- Had dinner with the Carter family their first night in the White House and recently met Barack Obama!
- Only performer to earn top ten hit singles in four decades. 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s.
- Her father John was an Armenian truck driver. Her mom Georgia Holt is from Arkansas.Her father left the family when Cher was very young. Mother then married Gilbert LaPierre who later adopted Cher. Her half sister is Georganne LaPierre.
- Cher has cherokee roots from her moms side. Hence her hits "Cherokee People" and "Half Breed"
- Most famous Hollywood personality of Armenian ethnicity .
- Has a fear of flying.
- Lived with Gene Simmons of KISS for many years.
- Was offered the role of Thelma in Thelma & Louise.
- Wanted to play Morticia in the Addams Family. The role went to Anjelica Houston.
Cher and her mom Georgia Holt
Cher has been a busy lady!
- "If I Could Turn Back Time" (1989) which was written by Diane Warren was actually filmed aboard the USS Missouri (BB-63) in Long Beach, LA. Elijah and Gregg Allman were guitarists in this video.
- Her Farewell Tour which began in Toronto in June 2002 and ended in Los Angeles in April 2005 was the longest running concert tour in North America.
- Holds the record for the longest tour and most money grossed ($250 Million) then any other female artist in history.
- Won an Emmy for Outstanding Variety, Music or Comedy Special in 2003 for her Farewell Concert Special.
- Shortly afterwards Cher retired from performing.
- She then returned in 2008 for three years of performances at Las Vegas Caesars Palace.
- Ranked #43 on VH1s 100 Greatest Women Of Rock and Roll.
- Currently lives in Malibu.
- A&E Biography Magazine lists Cher as the third favorite actress of the people. Katharine and Audrey Hepburn are one and two.
- Beat out Celine Dion's "My Heart Will Go On" for bestselling single of 1998 with "Believe"
Believe me...there are still more facts!
- "Believe" reached #1 in 23 countries. Won a Grammy in 2000. Ranked #66 as VH1's Greatest Dance Songs. Biggest hit of Cher's career.
- Holds the record for longest gap between #1 hits. "Dark Lady" in 1974. "Believe" in 1999.
- Auditioned for the role of Bonnie Parker in Bonnie & Clyde.
- Ranked #26 on VH1's 100 Sexiest Artists.
- Was the subject of an X-Files episode. "Post Modern Prometheus" Nov. 3, 1997
- She admits to having cosmetic surgery. (With or without she'll always be a classic beauty)
- Oldest and dearest friend is Paulette Betts.
- 1998 Cher and Sonny were honored with a star on the Hollywood Walk Of Fame. Sonny died that same year in a freak skiing accident. Cher performed the eulogy at his funeral.
- Won a Best Actress Academy Award for her performance as Loretta Castorini in Moonstruck.
- Received a Best Supporting Actress nod and a Golden Globe win for her performance as Dolly Pelliker in Silkwood.
- Was recognized for her Poignant Performance as Florence 'Rusty' Dennis in one of my favorite movies Mask at the Cannes Film Festival. Not to be confused with The Mask starring Jim Carrey.
- Is the National Chairperson and Honorary Spokesperson of the Childrens Craniofacial Association due to being inspired by her role in Mask.
- Was featured in People Magazine thirteen times.
- Cher's career began in 1963. The same year Sunshine was born.
- Was diagnosed with Epstein-Barr Syndrome / CFS (see link below).
- First woman to expose her bellybutton on TV
- She is the namesake of the Cher Charitable Foundation, which donates funds to various charities and causes close to her heart.
- Participated in a humanitarian effort to Armenia, bringing much needed food and medical supplies to the refugees.
- Co-hosted the annual Amfar AIDS Benefit at the Cannes Film Festival in 1998 with Elizabeth Taylor.
- Is the original Goddess Of Pop. Cher was the first, but others have and will follow.
Are you a fan of Cher?
Cher - Closer to the Truth
As with all of my tribute celebrity articles I request that if you, the reader, discovers a fact that is not accurate please contact me so that I could research and make amends. I place much effort into my work and would never, ever want to distribute false or misleading information.
Cher, if you are reading this because I do intend to tweet this to you please post a comment, because you are cool like that! Much love and respect for your years of hard work, dedication and entertainment.
- Cher Impersonator and Cher Look Alike Sandra Wood -
Sandra Wood is the top Cher impersonator performing in the industry today for convention entertainment and corporate event entertainment.
Cher and her mom Georgia Holt meet Barack Obama...
- Cher Takes Her Mom To Meet The President | Stop The Presses! (NEW) - Yahoo! Music
From the blog Stop The Presses! (NEW): Ever wonder how Cher manages to look so great at age 66? Look no further than her genes, as evidenced by a photo the singer/actress tweeted of her beautiful mother, Georgia Holt, on Wednesday. The shot was taken
© 2012 Linda Bilyeu