'Colorful' (2010): Recommended for the Troubled and Depressed (A Must-Watch Anime Movie Review)
Colorful is a Japanese animated feature film based on the novel of the same name by Eto Mori. It is directed by Keichii Hara in 2010.
It won the award for Excellent Animation of the Year at the 34th Japan Academy Prize and is nominated for Animation of the Year. It also won the Animation Film Award at the 65th Mainichi Film Awards. Internationally, it received the Audience Award and Special Distinction prize at the 2011 Annecy International Animated Film Festival.
Colorful is well-received not only in Japan but also internationally. The message that it conveys is suitable for all times especially for the emotionally troubled.
Running Time: 127 minutes
Colorful is an anime movie about a soul who wakes up in the body of the suicide victim Makoto. He must unravel two mysteries: the sin that he committed in his previous life, and the reason why Makoto committed suicide.
What Makes The Movie Unique
As the soul tries to unravel the mysteries while inside Makoto's body, he began to witness the sadness and cruelty of life.
What makes the movie unique is because of its dark theme, realistic interpretation of life. The movie didn't try to hide the message by using the fancy dreamy theme. The movie is harsh, fragile and sometimes unsympathetic.
That's life at its finest. The movie didn't hide the true color of life. Instead, it makes it more colorful. There are times when you may hate the main protagonist. Or you may hate every character in the film. It just showed that every character is flawed and has imperfections. This is one of the most realistic interpretation of life in an anime.
[Recommended: Top 10 Best Anime Movies
Did you ever feel tired of living?
Do you feel like giving up?
Do you feel that you are alone in this world?
Why Is It Recommended
The movie is released in 2010 but anyone, in any year, can be able to relate to this masterpiece. The movie might be running in a slow-paced drama but watching it until the end will leave a great message for anyone experiencing a tight spot out there and needed some encouragement.
Colorful is a good movie especially for the depressed and suicidal. It is a work of art that inspires people to value the life given to them. It narrates life in a realistic manner. It shows the dark side, the unending struggles, and the reason why we must keep on living.
For anyone needing some encouragement, this film is highly recommended for you. It is beautifully written with a good ending. The message that it wanted to convey is clearly stated in the movie. It doesn't use implications, rather, it is straightforward and simple. You won't have to guess for the message the film wants to convey.
Watch Colorful Now!
WARNING: The following texts may reveal some spoilers of the movie
Issues That Are Tackled In The Movie
These are issues that are not usually covered in other anime movies:
- Depression - the film shows the true nature of depression. It shows how a person with depression behaves and the way they interact with other people. It also shows how depression can lead to suicide if not paid attention
- Suicide - the main theme of the movie. It almost fully revolves in finding out the reason why Makoto took his own life.
- Bullying - the film shows the negative impact that bullying can have on a person's life.
- Isolation - having a friend is also highlighted in this movie. It gives importance to why a person simply cannot live alone in his life.
- Self-Acceptance - it is shown throughout the movie that struggles in life cannot be simply escaped from forever. Self-acceptance is one of the key points given in the film.
- Societal Pressures - it also deals with some of the pressures on school children as they come up to graduation before entering college or university.
- Decisions - it is shown in the film how the reactions of the characters in their given situations and trials affect their decisions. It also shows the consequences of their decisions. It conveys how one must not give in to committing mistakes despite the sadness and longing that they feel.
People are not monochromatic; they have many colors.
We don't know which colors are real and true to ourselves.
Being colorful is good, please live a colorful life.
Live life free now.— Colorful, 2010
This film has many lines that will touch the soul. It is highly recommended for everyone to watch this movie. This will somehow lighten your load in life and may give you a brighter outlook in everything.
© 2019 Krishna